University Health Service (UHS)
UHS Health Promotion Office
The UHS Health Promotion Office inspires UR students to LIVE, GROW, and THRIVE on campus! Our team provides a variety health education and wellness programs throughout the year.
We focus on the topics that are most meaningful to our student body: alcohol and other drugs, nutrition, healthcare IQ, relationships and sex, physical activity, and mental wellness. In addition, we collaborate with the campus community and support a variety of student-led health promotion initiatives throughout each academic year.
The UHS Health Promotion Office is located on the second floor of the UHS Building (Rooms 225, 227, and 228) on the River Campus. The Health Promotion Office is open weekdays throughout the year.
Programs & Services for Students:
- UR Sex Week, to be held September 25-29. We've assembled five days of events focused on sex and relationships, kicking off with our Sex and Chocolate Fair.
- Safe Sex Express (formerly known as the Condom Express) is a program that delivers safer sex supplies and information to Rochester students’ CMC boxes.
- Ask the Expert. Have a question? We have the answers. Amy Nadelen, UHS Health Educator, will answer 2-3 questions each month in our online Student Health 101 magazine.
- Student Health 101.This online monthly health and wellness magazine, especially for UR students, features articles addressing health issues on a variety of topics including stress, sleep, nutrition, alcohol, sexual health, colds, flu, and more.
- Meditation and Mindfulness, a 4-week workshop where you will cultivate mindfulness and meditation skills.
- UR Healthy and Feel Fabulous in February! The UHS Health Promotion offers programming devoted to alcohol and other drugs, nutrition, physical activity, mental wellness, sex and relationships, and healthcare IQ in September (UR Healthy) and in February (Feel Fabulous in February)!
- SWARM (Students Wanting Alcohol Responsibly Monitored). SWARM is a program that educates students about effective event management procedures, safer drinking strategies, and becoming an active bystander. SWARM training is facilitated by peer trainers who have been selected by University professional staff. The program is appropriate for any student group wishing to host an event with alcohol. Contact the UHS Health Promotion Office to register for SWARM training for yourself or your group.
- The UHS Health Promotion Office works with student groups to offer health-related programs. If your group would like to co-sponsor a program with the UHS Health Promotion Office, write to email@example.com or call 585-273-5775.
- Web-based health assessments and BASICS, a confidential alcohol assessment with the UHS Health Educator.
- Free brochures, fact sheets on a wide variety of health topics, and links to health-related web sites.
Opportunities include joining the UR Student Health Advisory Committee (URSHAC), enrolling in the Peer Health Advocacy course, joining the Peer Health Advocate Team, collaborating with UHS Health Promotion Office staff members on a specific project, co-sponsoring programs and events with the UHS Health Promotion Office, and working as a student staff member in the office. For more information, click here.