What is the Safe Sex Express?
The Safe Sex Express is a program that delivers safer sex supplies and information to Rochester students’ CMC boxes. The program was created by students on the UR Student Health Advisory Committee (URSHAC) in the spring of 2015. The Safe Sex Express makes around 100 deliveries each month throughout the academic year!
Here are a few things the program strives for:
- To provide anonymous and cost-free access to safer sex supplies such as condoms, lube, and dental dams.
- To provide information on topics such as proper condom use, consent, and STI testing.
- To increase utilization across all Rochester communities, including first year students, LGBTQ+ students, and Eastman School of Music students.
How does it work?
Any Rochester student with a CMC box can place an order using our request form. Options include:
- External condoms (AKA male condoms, many varieties available, including latex-free)
- Internal condoms (AKA female condoms)
- Water-based & silicone-based lubricant
- Dental dams
- Finger cots
Order requests are checked and fulfilled twice weekly. You’ll receive your supplies and sexual health information in a discreet package delivered to your CMC box within 5-7 business days.
If you need safer sex supplies while you wait for your order to arrive, you can find those for free in the Campus Information Center, the first floor UHS waiting room, the Health Promotion Office, and the Paul J. Burgett Intercultural Center. You may also purchase them at Hillside, as well as off campus locations such as CVS, Wegmans, Walmart, and more.
Why is this program important?
The need for the Safe Sex Express program is supported by the University of Rochester’s 2022 National College Health Assessment results:
- In the past 12 months, 45.5% of students have engaged in vaginal intercourse, 55% in oral sex, and 12.4% in anal sex.
- Of those sexually active students, only about 5% always used protection (condom, dental dam, etc.) during oral sex, and only about 47% during vaginal intercourse.
- Over 14% of those that reported having vaginal intercourse in the last 12 months indicated that they (or their partner) have used emergency contraception at least once.
How can I learn more about safer sex practices?
- Learn how to properly put on a condom.
- Get the details on STDs and STIs.
- See what consent looks like in real world situations.
To place an order for safe sex supplies, please complete the form below. Orders are packaged twice a week, then sent to the River Campus mail center or Eastman SLC. From there, the mail center will place them in your mailbox. You should expect to receive your order within 5-7 business days. If you are an ESM student, your order may take a little longer to arrive.
If you have a special request (e.g. a certain quantity, extra of a certain item, latex allergy, etc.), please place that in the comments and special requests box.