In order to improve sportsmanlike behavior in intramural sports contests, the Intramural Program has adopted a sportsmanship code developed by Dr. Bruce Maurer of Ohio State University. The intramural sports supervisors will strictly enforce the code. It is our goal to conduct games in an amiable manner. It is the responsibility of each player to do everything possible to insure that the game atmosphere is friendly and good-natured. The following rules of sportsmanship will be enforced:
A. No player or team follower shall:
- Use abusive language, threaten or abuse any other player or intramural employee, before, during or after the game.
- Participate in a game for which he/she is ineligible.
- Argue or talk back to the game supervisor. Only the captain (or acting captain) may address (courteously) the game supervisor concerning an interpretation of a rule.
- Intentionally strike, push, or trip another player.
- Mistreat the facility, equipment or supplies of the University of Rochester.
B. Penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct:
- Supervisor will eject a player from a game after two warnings. The ejected player must leave the gym, field, or playing area at this time.
- Players or teams can be barred from the play of up to a period of one year for extreme behavior.
- The team or player will automatically decrease their average upon demonstrating unsportsmanlike conduct.
- In order for a team to qualify for the playoffs, a sportsmanship average of B must be attained during the regular season round robin play.
C. Sportsmanship Ratings
In order for a team to qualify for the post-season playoffs, they must have:
- A B average (3.0) sportsmanship rating during regular season round robin.
- No forfeits, or if in the case that every team has forfeits in a league, the least amount possible.
D. Sportsmanship rating will be based on the following criteria:
- A Excellent Conduct and Sportsmanship: Players cooperate fully with the officials and other team members. The captain calmly converses with supervisors about rule interpretation and calls. The captains also have full control of his/her teammates. (4 points)
- B Good Conduct and Sportsmanship: Team members verbally complain about some decisions made by the officials and/or show minor dissension that may cause a warning. Teams or players that receive one warning will receive no higher than a B rating. (3 points)
- C Average Conduct and Sportsmanship: Teams show verbal dissent towards supervisors and/or the opposing team which may or may not result in a warning(s.) Captain or team leader exhibits minor control over his/her teammates or himself/herself. Teams receiving multiple warnings will receive no higher than a C rating. (2 points)
- D Below Average Conduct and Sportsmanship: Teams constantly comment to the supervisors and/or opposing teams from the field and/or sidelines. The team captain exhibits little or no control over teammates or himself/herself. A team on which a player is ejected will receive no higher than a D rating. (1 point)
- F Poor Conduct and Sportsmanship: Team is completely uncooperative. Captain has no control over teammates, and/or himself/herself. Any team causing a game to be forfeited, other than by not showing, or receives multiple ejections and warnings shall receive an E rating. (0 points)