The Spring 2021 Study Skills calendar is now open!
All appointments will be held virtually via Zoom or WC online. Please see below for instructions on how to set up an appointment.
There are four main ways to get study skills help:
- Virtual one-on-one study skills support
- Study Skills Course - CASC 142: Methods of Inquiry
- Request a workshop - Learn more below or fill out our online form
- Printable resources
Email email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Our confidential study skills support offers you individual discussions with a consultant who will help you improve your academic performance and efficiency. Your consultant will meet with you, discuss your concerns, and help you discover learning techniques that will enable you to enhance your overall academic performance.
All appointments with study skills consultants are free, and you may meet with them for a one-time troubleshooting session or on a regular basis during the fall and spring semesters.
The Spring 2021 calendar is open from February 1, 2021 through May 14, 2021 to students:
- Visit WC online to set up a time to meet with a consultant. For guidance, please read our instructional guide (PDF).
- If you are looking for a same day/drop in appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a Study Skills Consultant will set you up with a Zoom session if they are free.
- Receive confirmation from your Study Skills Consultant regarding your virtual session either via Zoom or WC online. Please consult the instructional guide above for directions on each platform.
- For any questions/concerns, email email@example.com.
All three study skills consultants have experience working with a diverse group of students who seek to meet the demands of time management, organization, exam preparation and more.
Meet our Consultants
Ali Safivand has experience teaching and consulting with undergraduate students abroad and here at the University of Rochester for many years. Before coming to Rochester in 2012, he was full-time faculty in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) abroad. Ali has been working as a study skills consultant and instructor at CETL since 2014. Currently, he is a PhD candidate at the Warner School of Education and Human Development in teaching and curriculum working on his dissertation.
Weijia is a doctoral student in teaching and curriculum at the Warner School of Education. Prior to coming to Warner, Weijia was a lecturer in ESL at several colleges in NJ including Rutgers and Bergen County College. She also received master degrees from both Rutgers and The College of New Jersey. Before coming to the U.S., she received her BA in English from Hunan University in China.
In addition to individual sessions, study skills consultants teach CASC 142: Methods of Inquiry, each semester. This course focuses on issues that are relevant to learning effectively, such as time management, stress, test-taking strategies, and motivation.
This is a workshop-style class in which students are required to submit a number of short assignments and a short final essay. Students will also be asked to give an in-class presentation at the end of the course.
SPRING 2021 CASC 142: Methods of Inquiry (PDF Version)
- CASC 142-1 (Mondays, February 08 - April 28 from 4:50pm - 6:05pm)
- CASC 142-2 (Thursdays, February 04 - April 22 from 4:50pm - 6:05pm)
- CASC 142-3 (Fridays, February 12 - April 30 from 2:00pm - 3:15pm)
Our study skills consulting team works with groups on campus to run workshops for students regarding test taking anxiety, study skills preparation, and time management. To submit your workshop request please submit the CETL Study Skills Workshop Request Form.
A study skills consultant will reach out to you to set up a pre-workshop meeting with you (as the workshop requester) to discuss the format of your workshop and solidify a day and time with regard to your request.
These worksheets are a small sample of the many different resources we can provide you during an appointment. Please make an appointment to review these worksheets and learn how to use them most effectively.
- Study tips for biology (PDF)
- Study tips for chemistry (PDF)
- Study tips for introduction to physics (PDF)
- Abstract vs. Exemplary Learning (PDF)
- Concept based study strategies (PDF)
- Memory based study strategies (PDF)
- Different types of test formats and questions (PDF)
Time management worksheets:
- Spring 2021 Semester grid calendar (fillable PDF) (Word Doc)
- Weekly planner - 24 hour (fillable PDF) (Word Doc) (Excel File)
- Daily planner (fillable PDF) (Word Doc)
- Task and subtask planner (fillable PDF) (Word Doc)
- Learning plan for online learning (fillable PDF) (Word Doc)
- 5 Principles of Time Management (PDF)