Educators in the Department of Athletics and Recreation are committed to excelling in all aspects of athletics education, and contributing to the educational mission of the College. We do our best to demonstrate high standards and encourage our students to do the same. One of our main goals is to ensure that all students, faculty, and staff have a positive experience with our department, and to instill in them pride in our institution. Other goals include:
- Demonstrating excellence in the educational process
- Substantially strengthening the competitiveness of varsity teams
- Increasing levels of participation in all non-varsity programs
- Establishing and maintaining a trajectory of success in the department
- Developing facilities and programs capable of serving the campus community and reflective of the quality of national peer institutions
- Strengthening the College's ability to attract the best students
About the Yellowjackets
The Rochester Yellowjackets play in the University Athletic Association and the Liberty League. University of Rochester teams have won four national championships at the NCAA Division III level, with women's soccer winning in 1986 and 1987, men's basketball winning in 1990, and men's cross-country winning in 1991. Fourteen student athletes have won individual national titles across the sports of cross-country, track and field, tennis, and golf. Most recently, Kylee Bartlett '19 won two national titles in 2017, capturing the indoor track and field title in the pentathlon before winning the outdoor track and field crown in the heptathlon.
Rochester has had over 600 All-Americans across all 23 of its varsity sports, while also excelling in the classroom by having 100 CoSIDA Academic All-Americans.