Skip to main content

Advising Handbook

Part-time Student Status

Part-time students register for fewer than 12 credit hours, and are assessed tuition at 1/32nd of the standard annual full-time tuition charge for each credit. Students changing from full-time to part-time, or vice versa, complete the form called "Classification Changes Affecting Tuition" prior to the beginning of classes in the College Center for Advising Services. (The policy for seniors is somewhat different. See the note below.) A student who changes his or her status to part-time effective after the first day of classes and during the first 50% of the term will receive an adjustment of tuition and other charges as noted in the Bulletin, or on the schedule available in CCAS.

Students are strongly advised to check with the Financial Aid Office before changing their status to see how their aid, if any, will be affected. Priority for Rochester-administered aid is given to full-time students. Students with loans need to be registered for at least six credits in order to defer payment of loans. Normally, on-campus housing is not available to part-time students.

Students considering part-time status should also review the sections of this manual titled "Acceleration" and "Enrollment Policy"

Unless part-time students receive permission to live in the residence halls, in which case participation in the University's health plan is mandatory, no health fee is charged by the University of Rochester. Healthcare coverage under the University-sponsored Aetna Student Health insurance plan terminates on the first of the month following the effective date noted on the “Classification Changes Affecting Tuition” form. Aetna Student Health will send a notice of cancellation from the UR group along with a bill to keep the insurance coverage effective on a direct basis. Students should contact the University Health Service at for further information.

All normal academic regulations apply to part-time students. For instance, they are expected to declare their concentrations during the semester in which they will have earned 64 credit hours. Part-time students wishing to declare inactive status pay the usual $60 fee. Part-time students may register during the usual registration period.

The classification "MT" is given to part-time students who have accumulated fewer than 96 credit hours; "CA" status describes students who have earned 96 or more credit hours. Students with "CA" status may be changed to the appropriate numeric classification during their final spring semester so that activities relevant to Commencement take place. Students who return to the University for the Fall semester following their scheduled Commencement in order to complete their degree requirements continue to carry their numeric classification; this status is used for both full-time and part-time students, and the usual policies apply.

Note: Seniors who plan to register for a part-time course load in their last semester should see Part-time Student Status (Seniors).