Skip to main content

Advising Handbook

Repeating Courses

Note: The faculty of the College approved a modification of the repeat course policy that will be implemented in the Spring of 2015. The new policy will apply to courses taken for the first time in Fall 2014 or later.

The new faculty policy states that approval will not be granted if the course was taken for the first time in Fall 2014 or later and passed with a satisfactory grade (i.e., “C” or better). However, students who earn an unsatisfactory grade (i.e., C-, D+, D, D-, or E) in a course that they complete in Fall 2014 or later may repeat that course for a grade as long as dean’s approval is secured. The faculty policy continues to state that the second grade, which is not necessarily the better grade, will be factored into the grade point average. Credit can be earned only once. Credit for courses initially passed will be removed from the record when the “repeat” course is completed, even if the second grade is a failure. An “R” appears next to both listings of the course on the transcript. The earlier grade remains.

Students who want to repeat a course for a grade need to secure the approval of the dean by completing the online repeat course form available at

Beginning with courses taken in Fall 2014 and later, students who declared the S/F option for a course, will receive permission to repeat the course only if the grade under the "S" is below C. See also S/F option.

Students receiving any kind of institutional or federal aid must be full-time, i.e., must be carrying at least 12 new credit hours. By implication, then, a student may not repeat two four-credit courses that were previously passed along with two new four-credit courses as Financial Aid would consider that student to be part-time (taking only eight credit hours). This policy is not in place for international students.

Students who have submitted signed “Incomplete” contracts requiring them to do the work again should make arrangements to audit the course, and not register again for credit as a “repeated” course.

When departments offer courses that are similar in content at different levels (e.g., PHY 122 and 142, MTH 141 and 161, MTH 143 and 162), students may not use the lower-level course as a “repeat” of the upper-level course.  However, CHM 203/204 may be used as a “repeat” of CHM 171/172.

Students may opt to use MTH 142 as a “repeat” of MTH 161, in which case only the 142 grade will be in the GPA, and any credit for 161 will be forfeited. However, students who are satisfied with their 161 grade may take 142 without losing credit for 161. The Department of Mathematics permits this because no more than one-third of the material in the two courses represents an overlap. The general rules about repeating courses apply here as well. MTH 142 may be used as a repeat of MTH 161 only if the grade earned in MTH 161 is below C.

Students may not earn credit for both MTH 161 and MTH 171 and/or MTH 162 and MTH 172.

Students who pass WRT 105/105E but with a grade below the “C” that is the minimum required may choose to take the course a second time for four additional credit hours, and with both grades in the GPA as long as they submit the special form by the end of the fourth week of the semester. Alternatively, a student may apply the standard “repeat” policy described in the first paragraph. (See Primary Writing Requirement.)

As noted above, when departments offer different versions of the same course, special rules apply. Any of the following three may be used to repeat the others: 1. WRT 105, 2. WRT 105E, 3. WRT 105A&B. Additionally, WRT 105 or WRT 105E may serve as a repeat course for WRT 105A under two circumstances: 

1) when a student has received below a C in 105A, or

2) when a student has received above a C in 105A, but has special circumstances that warrant completing the PWR with WRT 105 or WRT 105E (e.g., must complete the requirement in the summer when only 105 is offered).

Students who complete WRT 105A with a C or better and then complete WRT 105B with a grade lower than C would do best to repeat WRT 105B.

Some courses, because of the way they are offered, cannot be repeated.  PHY 143 is one example.  It is a course for freshmen only. A student who fails PHY 143 should take PHY 123 in the second year.  PHY 121 can be used as a repeat for PHY 141 and PHY 122 can be used as a repeat for PHY 142.  Also, PHY 121 can be taken as a repeat course for PHY 121P. BIO 112, another course that is for freshmen only, cannot be repeated.  A student who fails BIO 112 and wants to continue in Biology should take BIO 110 in the second year.

Students who choose to repeat a course they have failed, and who select the S/F option, must pass the course the second time in order that the first failing grade will be removed from the GPA.

Please note that although students may receive credit toward the degree for only one of the following courses – STT 211, STT 212, CSP/PSY 211, BCS 200 – the same course must be taken again for the “repeat” policy to apply.

Keep in mind that some courses may be taken more than once with credit and grade earned each time. The most common such course is Applied Music: Lessons at Eastman with 130 or 160 as the course number. Students also may take 2-credit foreign language conversation courses such as FR 114 more than once. Students may take RUS 126 no more than twice. Students may earn credit for both ECO 207 and ECO 207H and for ECO 209 and ECO 209H. A student may receive credit for both CHM 208 and CHM 210 if they choose to take both. A student can also elect to replace a grade in CHM 208 with a grade earned in CHM 210. Students may not, however, use a grade in CHM 208 to replace a grade in CHM 210.

Additional special circumstances:

  • Students may not earn credit for both BIO 190 and BIO 198.
  • Students may not earn credit for both FIN 204 and FIN 205.
  • In certain disciplines (e.g., modern and ancient languages, mathematics) students may not register and receive credit for a lower-level course once the higher-level course is successfully completed.
  • ​Students may not retain credit for both PHY 121 and PHY 113
  • Students may not retain credit for both CHM 171 and CHM 203
  • PSC 200 may be used as a repeat for PSC 201 (PSC 201 is no longer offered)
  • Students may enroll in HIS 100 and earn credit more than one time; however, a student who wishes to repeat the course and replace the original grade, must repeat the course under the same topic.

Students are advised to check course descriptions and departmental policies whenever questions arise concerning course credit for comparable courses.