Preparing to Go Abroad
Passports and Visas
Students should get their passport and learn about visa requirements as soon as they can, as this process can take several months. For more information see our passport and visa page.
All University students, faculty, and staff are covered under the AXA Assistance plan, serviced by Mercer. There is no additional cost for this benefit.
Travel assistance provides support services in case of an emergency while traveling, including:
- Medical services
- Travel services
- Security and safety services
For more information, including information about travel insurance, see our travel insurance and assistance page.
For information on staying safe abroad see our safety page, created with help from the Department of Public Safety.
Our email page gives you helpful information to make sure you can use your email during your trip abroad.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is used to access restricted University resources from off campus. See IT’s VPN page for more information.
All approved study abroad students must meet the following requirements prior to departure.
- Complete the Pre-Departure Orientation successfully.
- Fulfill all health insurance and travel immunization requirements outlined in the health care guide.
- Fulfill all academic requirements listed on the academics matter page of the Pre-Departure Guide.
- Maintain a clean disciplinary and academic record. Students placed on academic or disciplinary probation after their applications were approved will not be permitted to study abroad. See the eligibility page for more information.
- Register your travel
Links to helpful guides and other information can be found on our resource page.