Skip to main content


Returning from Abroad

Once you’re back in Rochester you can look forward to attending a Welcome Back reception and participating in a student-to-student chat room during your return semester. You can also become a study abroad peer advisor and share your experiences with students who are interested in abroad study.

You can also submit the photos you took abroad to our Student Photo Contest.

If you'd like to get more involved, there are opportunities to work in the Center for Education Abroad, such as:

  • Helping to organize future orientations
  • Designing bulletin boards
  • Working on the UR There guide

For more tips and information, download the re-entry handbook.

Getting Credit for Your Semester Abroad

See the study abroad transfer credit page for information on:

  • Transfer credit procedures
  • Language credit requirements
  • Transferring elective credits
  • Internships and independent study
  • Grading

Registering for Your Return Semester

When you study abroad, you will be out of the country during the usual registration period. You will still be able to use the online course schedules and descriptions to select your classes and sign on to the web registration system using your NetID and password, or University ID and PIN. Instructions for registration can be found on the registrar's website.

If you are registering for a class that needs instructor permissions, you may want to speak with the course’s instructor before you leave for study abroad.

If you have problems or questions, please email the Registrar's Office at or call (585) 275-4654.

Parking for Your Return Semester

The Department of Transportation and Parking Management holds a lottery for resident student parking permits in the spring before students leave for summer break. For students who will be abroad during the spring semester, the registration form for the lottery will be emailed to you while you are abroad.

If, for some reason, you do not receive the email and need parking for the following year, you may contact the parking office at (585) 275-3983 or email

Dining Plans for Your Return Semester

Students abroad are not required to purchase a Rochester meal plan during their time abroad. However, you will need to purchase a meal plan for when you return from your time abroad.

For a full description of the University’s selection of dining plans, please visit the University Dining Services website or email

Dining Plan Changes and Cancellations

  • Fall and spring dining plan changes and cancellations are permitted only during the designated change periods.
  • A $25 fee is charged for any plan-level decrease or cancellation that is requested during any modification period except the October open modification period.
  • Parents or legal guardians cannot make dining plan changes/cancellations for the participant.
  • Changes or cancellations must be submitted via the Dining Plan Change/Cancellation form. Phone or oral requests are not accepted.
  • Changes or cancellations must be made at the Customer Service/ID Office in Susan B. Anthony Halls.

Important Note: Students studying abroad for the spring semester do not need to cancel their dining plan for the spring semester. Dining services will refund any spring dining charges to the bursar’s bill once official notification is received that you are on study abroad status.

Refund Policy

Club Meal and Declining Plans

Unused fall semester declining balance dollars carry forward to the spring semester. Remaining declining balance dollars at the close of the spring semester are nonrefundable.

Refunds of unused declining balance will be issued for any participant who withdraws from the University or whose status changes to inactive during a semester, as certified by the College Center for Advising Services, the Registrar’s Office, or the appropriate dean.

Refunds will be credited through the University’s bursar account.

URos Accounts

URos Account balances will carry over from year to year, or until your permanent departure from the University of Rochester. Refunds for unused balances of $20 or more will be issued for anyone who withdraws or graduates from the University, as certified by the College Center for Advising Services, the Registrar's Office or the appropriate dean.

Refunds will be credited through the University's bursar account.

Housing for Your Return Semester

The Office for Residential Life will email your return housing information to you directly. Please be sure the Center for Education Abroad has your abroad email address as soon as possible. This information will not be sent to parents. You will need to forward the information and link to your parents if you want them to take care of your housing submission.

If you have specific questions, please contact the Office for Residential Life at (585) 275-3166 or email

Student Photo Contest

Have lots of photos from your time abroad? Enter our study abroad photo contest for a chance to win!

Eligibility: Open to University of Rochester students who studied abroad through the Center for Education Abroad between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2016.
Deadline: Noon on March 1, 2017
To Enter: 
Categories: People, Culture, and Physical World
Entries: Two per category; total of six photos

View previous finalists and winners.