Skip to main content

Advising Handbook

Credit by Examination

Independent Study

Students who prepare a course by independent study without registering for it and who pass an examination in that course can receive degree credit for it upon petition to their Administrative Committee. A letter of support from the chair of the department, or from his or her authorized delegate, is required. 


Credit by examination in mathematics is available only for MTH 161 and MTH 162. The normal procedure is to take the final examination simultaneously with the regular exam in the current MTH 161 or MTH 162 courses.

Students who are interested in this option should talk to the mathematics department. 



Credit by examination is not available in introductory or intermediate level language courses.