Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning

For Students in the College

Home | Workshop Program | Study Groups | Study Skills | Tutoring | Disability Support | News & Events | FAQ | Resources for Students | Report an Accessibility Concern | CAS 310 - Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Program | Resources for TAs

Disability Support

UR Transition Logo

Class of 2019: Join Us for UR Transition

UR Transition is a pre-orientation program designed to support the needs of students with disabilities beginning their academic journey as members of the College. This program will bring students with disabilities and their families together with College services to cultivate supportive relationships and encourage self-advocacy skills, which in turn will ease the transition from previous educational environments to the UR. Students and parents will attend workshops and tours facilitated by CETL access coordinators and study skills consultants, accompanied by CETL student mentors. Learn more >

The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) offers a variety of disability services for undergraduates and graduate students in Arts, Sciences & Engineering. These services aim to provide an inclusive experience and equal access to academic content and program requirements. Our approach relies on collaboration among students, CETL staff, and instructors. Students are invited to make an appointment to meet with an access coordinator to get acquainted and talk about classroom accommodations. CETL also provides transition support and self-advocacy skill development.

Quick Links:

Deciding to Disclose

Choosing to disclose the existence of a disability is a topic some students may wish to discuss informally with their access coordinator. The access coordinator will treat such conversations confidentially to the maximum extent possible. A student will not be considered to have self-identified a disability until the student has specifically expressed a desire to do so.

Arrangements for Accommodations

Our access coordinators will consider a wide variety of factors, including the nature of the disability and its effect on the student, the documentation provided, evidence of past accommodations that the student has received, and other relevant facts. If accommodations are to be provided, students should meet with the access coordinator to review the information included in their personal accommodation letter which lists the student’s in-class accommodations. After you submit your documentation to the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, we will review your paperwork within 2 weeks.

The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning offers a variety of services for undergraduate and graduate students with disabilities in Arts, Sciences and Engineering. These services may include, but are not limited to:

Students are encouraged to make requests for accommodations well in advance.

Supporting Documentation

Upon disclosing the existence of a disability, students may be asked to forward supporting documentation to the local access coordinator. Supporting documentation must be submitted on letterhead that is dated, typed, and signed and be provided by a qualified physician, psychologist, audiologist, speech pathologist, rehabilitation counselor, physical therapist, occupational therapist, or other health care provider. Supporting documentation should not be provided by a family member. Disability documentation must:

It is often helpful if disability documentation includes:

The University often will provide the specific accommodations requested, but may not be legally required to do so if there is another effective accommodation available. If you receive a letter requesting additional information, please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Prospective students are encouraged to speak with an access coordinator to describe their accommodation needs and to inquire about CETL services and procedures. Upon accepting an offer to attend the University of Rochester, students who wish to receive classroom accommodations should send their documentation to our office for review.

Supporting Documentation Checklist

Please submit documentation of a disability to:

Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
University of Rochester
1-154 Dewey Hall
P.O. Box 270359
Rochester, NY 14627-0359
Fax: (585) 273-1116


Supporting documentation regarding the existence and the nature of a student's disability is generally considered private. Accordingly, without written consent from the student and except as stipulated below, information contained in the disability file is kept confidential to the maximum extent possible. Disability-related information will also be kept separate from the student's academic record. Access to a student's disability file is limited to the local access coordinator, the University disability resource coordinator, and other University officials who require access to the information to perform their professional responsibilities, or who need access to protect the health or safety of the student or others.

Request For Further Review

If a student is dissatisfied with a decision concerning accommodations, both informal and formal processes are available to request further review. The initial review consists of an informal review of all relevant materials by the local access coordinator, in consultation with appropriate committees. The purpose of this local review is to mediate and resolve differences. If a student is dissatisfied with the decision made at the informal level, the student may formally request that the decision be reviewed by the dean of the school or by his or her designee. The dean may request a report and recommendations from the University disability resource coordinator and, when appropriate, the eligibility assessment team. A final appeal may be made to the provost, who may accept or reject the appeal or, at his or her discretion, assign it to a designee.

Disability Manual

You may also find useful information in our online edition of The Disability Manual: Disabilities, Accommodations, and the College. This manual provides detailed information about the support available to students with disabilities. CETL would be happy to send you send you a printed copy at your request.

More Information

If you have any questions or concerns please contact:

Pamela Spallacci or Amy Clark or Elizabeth Carpenter or Vicki Roth.

Office Location: 1-154 Dewey Hall, River Campus
Office Phone: (585) 275-9049

You may also contact:

Lynnett Van Slyke
University Intercessor and Disability Compliance Director
Office Location: 36 Wallis Hall
Office Phone: (585) 275-9125