Financial Information

Graduate Student Taxation Information

If you are receiving a stipend which is for academically required effort to earn your degree (your department graduate coordinator can confirm your grad appointment category) you may be responsible to estimate and pay your taxes to the IRS on a quarterly basis. Typically this is only for PhD students, but if you are Master’s student who has earned a fellowship with a stipend, it will require an adherence to the same procedures.

Your tax residency category will determine to which level or if you are required to pay taxes on a quarterly basis. Your tax residency category is partly determined by your citizenship (either US Citizen, Non-resident Alien or Resident Alien for Tax Purposes). International students receiving a stipend are asked to refer to tax information on the ISO website and if necessary consult with ISO about tax filing reporting responsibilities.

US Citizens, Permanent Residents, or Resident Aliens for tax purposes:

If you are receiving a fellowship/stipend (job code 6000) or assistantship (job code 6002) from the University, no taxes are withheld from these appointments and you may have to file quarterly estimated tax payments with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance ( Forms and instructions for estimated tax payments may be obtained from the IRS and NYS Tax websites. For more information, please review the slides from the tax workshop.

Financial Aid

Merit-based awards are provided by the academic department during the admission process, while federal and private loan funding can be obtained through the Financial Aid Office.

The application required for federal student loans is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at Students who have completed their application materials will be reviewed for aid eligibility. Eligibility is determined based upon planned enrollment.

Please contact the Financial Aid Office at (800) 881-8234 or visit their website for additional details on loans and contact information for staff members.

Student Financial Aid System

You can review what credit hours we used to determine your eligibility for aid by reviewing the messages tab in FAOnline, our online student financial aid system.

Students can also use FAOnline to:

  • Review financial aid packages
  • Review the status of any document needed for an aid application
  • Download and print documents that are required for a financial aid application
  • Receive notification when a change has been made to a financial aid package
  • Stay informed about financial aid deadlines and requirements for each academic year

Students must know their student ID number to log into the system.

In order to have your student loan funds available at the start of the fall semester, you should submit your application materials to the Financial Aid Office by May 1. The FAFSA can be completed for the new academic year after January 1. If you apply after the start of the academic year, please allow up to two to four weeks for processing of your application to determine your eligibility for aid.


In addition to financial aid, graduate students may be eligible for University or external fellowships. See our fellowship page for more information.

External Work Policy

Full-time students holding fellowships, assistantships, or scholarships may not accept other full-time employment.