Student Support

Two students in class smiling.

AS&E Graduate Student Support Resources

Every graduate student has a unique experience, and the University offers a variety of resources to help you be successful on your own path. While your academics, research, and social activities can be very exciting, there may be times when you need some support or simply want to get connected to new people and information. Please feel free to explore the categories on this page for information on resources for graduate students.

Have a concern about yourself or another student you think needs to be addressed urgently? You can file a CARE referral to meet with a member of the CARE team that can help make connections to resources. You can also visit the CARE Resource Center website for self-guided access to resource information anytime. Crisis or emergency concerns should be handled by the Department of Public Safety by calling (585) 275-3333 available 24/7. For urgent mental health concerns, students can call the University Counseling Center (UCC) at (585) 275-3113 also available 24/7.

Academics and Research

The Office of Disability Resources: Disability resources works with students to provide equal access and inclusive experiences at the University of Rochester. Students with disabilities are encouraged to connect and register with the Office of Disability Resources to explore the services and resources available to them. The staff at disability resources also work with instructors and TAs to enact disability accommodations and ensure accessible experiences for students with disabilities. AS&E graduate students who are interested exploring possible accommodations can register or complete a request form anytime.

The Learning Center: The Learning Center offers 1:1 Academic Success Coaching to graduate students that are free, confidential, individual meetings. Your coach will discuss your concerns and then help you select and implement learning and self-management techniques to improve your academic performance and efficiency. Graduate students are also welcomed to use the Study Zone for a quiet, low distraction place to work and set goals.

Academic Honesty Liaisons: The Academic Honesty Liaisons are the best first point of contact for confidential advising on academic honesty policy and process in AS&E. As a resource that remains structurally separate from the Board of Academic Honesty (which adjudicates cases), the Academic Honesty Liaisons can support graduate students who have questions (1) about the policy itself, (2) about how to ensure they are completing coursework with integrity, or (3) about how to understand their rights, responsibilities, and options if they are reported on suspicion of violating the policy. You can reach out via email or book an appointment with the liaison in the online booking system.

River Campus Libraries: The library supports all your scholarly endeavors as related to the research lifecycle, including:

  • In-class scholarly research instruction as well as personalized research consultations
  • Identifying and accessing materials the libraries already possess and purchasing those we don’t (including data sets)
  • Tailoring resources to specialized needs like primary source items and digital means for conducting your scholarship (e.g. virtual reality, text mining, GIS)
  • Advising on issues of publishing, copyright, data management, and open scholarship
  • Storing, preserving, and sharing your research output

Know that you have a librarian dedicated to your area of study and they can be your first stop as well as your guide throughout your time at Rochester.

The Writing Speaking and Argument Program (WSAP): Graduate writing support is offered through the Graduate Writing Project (GWP) and supports graduate students and postdocs from AS&E at any stage in their program, working on any kind of academic writing and research, from abstracts and article submissions to theses and dissertations. They offer a range of services designed for graduate-student writers at the University, including: writing groups, tutoring, writing boot camps, and writing workshops.

The Teaching Center: Supports AS&E graduate students across their teaching roles as instructors, future faculty, and teaching assistants. The Introduction to College Teaching Workshop series specifically prepares first-time graduate student instructors, graduate teaching assistants (GTAs), the Teaching Center provides written guidance and also partners with AS&E Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs (GEPA) to train all first-time GTAs. The Graduate TA Trainer Program uses a train-the-trainer model in which AS&E GEPA hires and the Teaching Center trains experienced GTAs nominated by a wide range of academic departments to deliver the training for first-time GTAs.

The Language Center: The Language Center supports students enrolled in language classes, and those looking for support practicing speaking English as an additional language or another language offered on campus. We also offer peer tutoring for those enrolled in a language and our English Conversation Practice hours are tailored to topics and areas of interest of the participants with a component of cultural understanding. The Language Center is a vibrant community of linguistic diversity and discovery that fosters global competency. We offer cutting-edge technology for language practice with our partnership with studio X and VR headsets. Graduate students are welcome to use all of our resources and are welcome to take advantage of our spaces for studying, connecting, or relaxing in-between classes.

Advisor, Faculty and Department Connections

For most graduate students, your faculty advisor should be your primary source of information, advice, and support along with others within your department such as your graduate coordinator. However, there may be times when the advisor is unable to help a student, when a student does not feel comfortable discussing the situation with their advisor, or when the problem involves the advisor. In such cases, it can be helpful to seek outside advice or support. Students should be aware that there are multiple sources of help, including:

Other contacts within your department: Students are encouraged and welcome to reach out to others within their department with advising and/or department-related questions and concerns. Often good contacts include, the director of graduate studies, the department chair, and/or the department graduate coordinator.

AS&E Graduate Student Ombudspersons: The ombudspersons are faculty members who can provide confidential, impartial and independent advice to help graduate students address their concerns. The ombudspersons provide a resource for and information about institutional policies and act as facilitators to help students resolve their problems, connecting students with those who can help, accompanying the student in discussions of problems or issues with faculty or administrators, and acting as an informal mediator between the student and faculty or administrators. The ombudspersons can also help to effect positive change by providing feedback on patterns of problems and complaints to appropriate administrators. Students can contact either ombudsperson via email and ask to schedule a time to talk.

Contacts in the AS&E Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs (GEPA) office: Our staff are here to help answer your questions and work through concerns, including the dean of graduate education and postdoctoral affairs, the assistant dean, and the assistant director of student services. See the GEPA contact information page and feel free to reach out to us directly.

The Office of Equity and Inclusion: The Office of Equity and Inclusion (OEI) is dedicated to cultivating an equitable, respectful, and welcoming culture at the University of Rochester. Visit their website for more information on services and resources available as well as to report concerns including those related to harassment and discrimination and Title IX.

The CARE Network: CARE is a proactive network of support services for University of Rochester students that may be struggling and may benefit from the use of campus and community resources. Faculty, staff and students can make referrals when they recognize that a student may need support such as when they are experiencing emotional, social, and/or considerable academic stress. Students can also self-refer and a member of the CARE team will reach out to offer support.

Mental and Physical Health

University Health Services (UHS)All full-time graduate students have access to University Health Service, which is the main source of your primary care on campus offering services for mental health, health promotion, and medical care. University Health Service offers a wide range of primary care services, including treatment for illnesses and injuries, ongoing medical problems, and care and advice for health concerns. Visit the UHS contact page for contact information and to schedule an appointment, or call (585) 275-2662. 

UHS Health Promotion Office: This office provides a variety of health education and wellness programs, and is specifically passionate about supporting the well-being needs of our graduate students. Their Graduate Student Wellness Committee offers a variety of programs and initiatives to support Graduate Student Well-Being, from workshops on financial well-being, advisor relations, impostor syndrome, as well as Graduate Student Wellness Fairs, wellness walks, lawn game days, and more! Passionate about well-being initiatives for graduate students? Join the Graduate Student Wellness Committee by emailing Rebecca Block at rblock@uhs.rochester.eduSign up for their newsletter to stay up to date with all of their offerings and local events and resources in the Greater Rochester area!

University Counseling Center (UCC): All full-time graduate students can take advantage of UCC’s services, including individual and couples therapy, group therapy, medication management, 24-hour crisis services, and consultation services. Sessions with UCC counselors are free and confidential. Students can schedule appointments by calling UCC at (585) 275-3113, and an on-call UCC professional is available 24/7 for urgent needs.

TELUS Health (formerly MySSP): Is a global counseling service that University of Rochester students can utilize no matter where they are, in and outside the United States. TELUS Health is a great option for students who aren’t in Rochester or who are looking for support in a language other than English. Services are confidential and free to University of Rochester students, regardless of their health insurance provider. Students can download the app from App Store or Google Play, visit the website or call (866) 743-7732. (Outside US or Canada, call 001-416-380-6578.)

ThrivingCampus: Makes it easier for students to learn more about community mental health providers and access treatment off-campus and in many other states. Go to or make an appointment for an initial assessment with one of the UCC therapists for assistance by calling (585) 275-3113. The website also includes resources to assist students through the process of securing off-campus outpatient care.

The CARE Network: CARE is a proactive network of support services for University of Rochester students that may be struggling and may benefit from the use of campus and community resources. Faculty, staff, and students can make referrals when they recognize that a student may need support such as when they are experiencing emotional, social, and/or considerable academic stress. Students can also self-refer and a member of the CARE team will reach out to offer support. Looking for more information on resources? Check out the CARE Resource Center anytime.

Department of Public Safety (DPS): For emergency and crisis response, DPS is there for the wellbeing of the University community. Call or text (585) 275-3333 to get connected to a DPS officer for support or to report a safety concern 24/7. The Department of Public Safety offers various services beyond responding to emergencies—from safety escorts, scam detection/prevention, to vehicle services and more. Check out their website for a complete list of services and for more information.

Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Support: Here you will find information and resources available on campus and beyond to anyone who has experienced sex or gender discrimination, including sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, and intimate partner violence including how to report and who to contact for help. For immediate help, call University Public Safety at (585) 275-3333.

The Interfaith Chapel: Is a place for worship, meditation, and quiet study; for community service, service-learning, and discussion of social justice issues; for weddings, unions, and celebrations for alumni and the wider community; a site for social and musical programs, talks on moral and ethical dilemmas, and memorials. Graduate students are encouraged to take advantage of the programs and religious faiths supported by the chapel.

Career Exploration and Job Search

The Greene Center: The Greene Center supports the career development needs of AS&E masters and doctoral students, as well as postdoctoral fellows. They can help you with personalized approaches to exploration from your first year on campus all the way to your transition to a career after degree completion with access to employers seeking graduate-level candidates. From career exploration to resume/CV development, job and internship search (including industry and academia), and more- login to Handshake to schedule an appointment with a career advisor to help you get started and view job and internship postings as well as upcoming events.

The Student Employment Office: The Student Employment Office is here to support you if you're looking for a job on campus and maintains the JobLink system which allows students to search for and apply to on-campus jobs and graduate assistantships. JobLink can be accessed via Blackboard in the student services tab.

The Ain Center for Entrepreneurship: The Ain Center for Entrepreneurship helps students develop their ideas into sustainable ventures. They offer co-curricular programs and resources to innovators and entrepreneurs, including training for early-stage innovators, interactive workshops, panel discussions with like-minded entrepreneurs, advising and mentorship, pitch competitions, other creative team challenges, and much more. For more information visit their website.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

Paul J. Burgett Intercultural Center (BIC): Works to foster a collaborative environment and offer resources to explore the intersections of identity, build intercultural competence, and promote and encourage cultural understanding and appreciation among the campus community. They provide opportunities for education and dialogue on topics such as race, religion, LGBTQ issues, privilege, intercultural communication, and bias-related incidents. Students can use the intercultural lounge and LGBTQ resource area, which is an ideal location for studying, checking out books and videos, engaging in discussions, and gathering as a community.

The Kearns Center: Strives to expand the educational pipeline through the doctoral degree for low-income, first-generation college, and underrepresented minority students. Professional and social programming on topics addressing the racial and ethnic diversity of the University graduate student population.

The Office of Equity and Inclusion: Oversees all equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts and issues for the entire University, in addition to offering programming on EDI topics. They also oversee all complaints related to discrimination, harassment, Title IX, and Student Sexual Misconduct Policy issues.

Social, Community, and Family

Graduate Student Groups: Student groups and organizations are a great way to expand your social circle and enhance your University of Rochester experience. Consider joining as a member or enhance your leadership skills and career readiness competencies by becoming an officer. Check out the list of AS&E Graduate Student Groups to find contact information and to reach out anytime. There are a variety of fantastic groups to join or get involved with, including The Graduate Student Association, you can access their Slack Channel with your Rochester email address and check out the GSA here for more information. With or without becoming an active member, AS&E graduate students are invited to attend upcoming events and programs hosted by student groups which can be found in the Campus Community Connection (CCC).

The Campus Community Connection (CCC): Joining the CCC is the best way to get involved with student organizations on campus. By logging in with your NetID, you can join organization, discover events and connect with the University of Rochester community.

The Office of Alumni Relations and Constituent Engagement: Is dedicated to fostering relationships that engage alumni, parents, students, and friends with the University of Rochester and current students are encouraged to connect with our vibrant alumni community even before you graduate. Check out their website and use the Meliora Collective platform to build your network and get connected to alumni for mentorship, advice, and support.

The Children’s School @ URMC: Is a Children’s Creative Learning Center located on the University of Rochester campus may be a good option for students and postdocs with children. There's a unique curriculum for every age level, centered on developmentally appropriate and fun activities that help children develop physically, intellectually, emotionally, and socially.

Family Counseling: The University Counseling Center (UCC) provides individual and couples therapy and group therapy to members of the University of Rochester community who pay the mandatory student health fee. Support is available for those looking to manage the changes in their lives that occur with the birth or adoption of a child.

Monroe County Childcare Support Resources: The Monroe County website provides several resources to help parents find daycare services.

Financial Support

Financial Aid Office: If you’re an incoming or current student looking for financial support, the Financial Aid Office is there to consult with students on a variety of things including FAFSA, loan eligibility, and financial education with via an online program, Financial Avenue. Financial Avenue will provide you with smart resources to help demystify the world of personal finance. Visit their website for additional details on loans and contact information for staff members.

Basic Needs Hub: Is a University fund to help students in unanticipated emergency situations with financial support for critical/essential resources (such as short-term housing, food, etc.) typically on a one-time only basis. To read more and apply visit the website.

The Food Pantry: The Food Pantry provides free essential food items to University of Rochester students or postdocs who:

  • Are food insecure
  • May be facing a change in employment status
  • Is currently in quarantine or isolation without the financial means to order food

Students can “shop” the pantry when they are open by appointment or order grocery bags for pickup. See the food pantry page for more ways you can use or support the food pantry for others.

AS&E Graduate Funding, Taxes, and Fellowship Information: The GEPA office has outlined more info to help you budget for costs associated with your graduate education, including preparing and paying taxes and supplementary funding sources such as fellowships. Fellowships and graduate assistantships are available for incoming and current students to apply to and can provide both professional development and supplementary income/stipend support.

The Career Clothing Closet: The Greene Center operates a Career Clothing Closet to provide students with access to free professional apparel for interviews, presentations, conferences, internships, and the first days on a job. Please schedule an appointment in Handshake to browse the inventory in the Career Clothing Closet.

International Student Support

International Services Office (ISO): Provides services to international students, scholars, employees, and other visitors to the University of Rochester including:

  • Issuing immigration documents
  • Advising on relevant immigration matters
  • Meeting US reporting requirements
  • Scam prevention
  • Offering information on adjusting to life and culture in the US and at Rochester including cross-cultural counseling

Learn more about ISO services or contact ISO.

Office for Global Engagement: Is a hub for information about the University of Rochester’s international activities.

Greene Center International Student Support: International students seeking employment inside or outside the United States can seek support from the Greene Center advisors by scheduling an appointment in Handshake. This website is full of useful information for students including access to Interstride an online international student portal that includes focused resources, student services and jobs and internships specific for our international community.

Student Complaint Procedure

Both informal and formal procedures exist to resolve student complaints involving harassment, discrimination, and other issues. Information about such procedures can be obtained from the deans’ offices of the College, the Eastman School of Music, and the School of Nursing; from the University of Rochester Ombuds Office; or by contacting the University’s Title IX Coordinator and Director of Equal Opportunity Investigations.