Due to COVID-19 the physical Gallery has been converted to our campus Food Pantry. Therefore, there are no in person shows at this time. However, please look below for more information about virtual shows.
Named for alumnus John B. Hartnett, this unique gallery space was designed by the renowned architects of I.M. Pei and Associates in 1972. Hartnett houses 8 to 10 exhibitions each year. Of these, 4 to 6 are coordinated by the Hartnett Gallery Committee student organization. The remaining shows are coordinated in partnership by Wilson Commons Student Activities, Art & Art History, and the Memorial Art Gallery. The gallery is open to the public and admission to exhibitions, receptions, and presentations are free.
Current Exhibit Highlight:
There are no virtual exhibitions at this time.
Spring 2021 Event Schedule:
Hartnett Gallery Committee
The student run Hartnett Gallery Committee schedules and presents 4 to 6 exhibitions each academic year. These vary from solo shows to group exhibitions featuring local, state, national, and international artists, with an undergraduate juried exhibition held each year. A wide variety of media and genres are shown, including sculpture, photography, painting, video, and installation work, as well as curatorial and community projects. For more information about the student run Hartnett Gallery Committee visit their blog or find them on CCC: View the Hartnett Gallery Committee's CCC page.
Submitting a Proposal
The Hartnett Gallery Advisory Board welcomes proposals for events/performances/exhibitions to be hosted in Hartnett Gallery. Events and performances are encouraged to occur in the space during an exhibition, assuming an exhibition's set up can accommodate your proposal's needs. All events, performances, and exhibitions must be sponsored by a University of Rochester department or student organization. If your department or student organization is interested in hosting an event or exhibition in the Gallery, you can fill out the Hartnett Gallery Proposal Form: Submit an Exhibition proposal.
Hartnett Gallery Use Information
To help you design your exhibition, view the Hartnett Gallery's general layout: View the general Hartnett Gallery floor plan.
Installation and De-installation Timetable
- The dates scheduled for an exhibition need to include time for the installation and the deinstallation of the exhibition.
- Installation can be expected to take one to three days for less complicated projects. More complicated installations will need to budget more time.
- At the end of deinstallation Hartnett must be returned to the condition it was in at the beginning of the exhibition period.
- If works are not conventionally framed or mounted all aspects of their installation must be pre-approved.
- The Hartnett Advisory Board must give approval prior to installation if any work fits the following criteria:
- Weighs more than 50 lbs.
- Has a dimension exceeding 40”
- Requires any extraordinary management or installation (i.e. suspended from the ceiling)
- Is to be placed on the balcony
- Exhibitions must request permission to paint the walls from the Hartnett Advisory Board
- The use of double-stick tape or any means of adhesion apart from the use of Quakehold® or GlueDots® (brand specific) is prohibited.
- No exhibition is allowed to block the entrance to the Gallery or the stairs inside.
- The floor cannot be painted or altered.
- Sharpies/permanent markers, ink, watercolor, or stickers are not allowed to be placed directly on Gallery walls.
- Lighting cannot be adjusted without proper training from the Advisory Committee.
Hours of Operation
For the Harnett Gallery's standard hours, please see Wilson Common's building hours. The standard hours are only during an exhibition. The Gallery is closed when there is no exhibit on display or event scheduled. Hours may change or fluctuate during academic breaks.
To speak with a Hartnett Gallery Attendant: 585-275-4188.
For the student run Hartnett Gallery Committee: email@example.com
For the Hartnett Gallery Advisory Board: HartnettBoard@lists.rochester.edu
For other inquiries: WCSA@rochester.edu