Rochester Review is published 3 times annually
by the University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, USA
Departments Features Letters to the Editor
Rochester in Review
- Photo: Book learning in Rush Rhees Library
- In brief: freshman class, new trustees, University Press, and more
- Rochester Quotes
- Photo: Sesqui is coming
- Sports: Sports complex to get overhaul; winter and spring wrap-ups
- Review Point: Eric Hanushek, professor of economics and public policy
- Sesquicentennial celebration: dates and preliminary plans
- Alumni Relations gets new director
- Mary-Frances Winters '73, '82S (MBA), Hutchison medalist
- Katherine Hayles '77 (PhD), distinguished scholar awardee
- Bob Witmer '59, Armstrong Alumni Award winner
- VAN alumni recruit Rochester's best and brightest
- Lambda builds alumni momentum
- June reunion photo report
- Mr. Good Vibes: Ted Piltzecker '72E
- Taking bankruptcy out of the closet: Trudy Nowak '76
- Trusting your instincts: Joyce Masur Buell '68
- Magic maker: Michael Kanfer '80
- Women's hall of famer: Mary Steichen Calderone '39M (MD)
- Making (sound) waves: Ilene Busch Vishniac '75
- River Campus Undergraduate
- River Campus Graduate
- Eastman School of Music
- School of Medicine and Dentistry
- School of Nursing
- In Memoriam
- Class Acts: NY Times man reports; master's degree 65 years later; and more
- Alumni Relations: Four generations of Vedders
- In Appreciation: Dan Stoller '66
- The buzz on the Yellowjacket Club
Books & Recordings
by alumni and faculty
- Recommended Reading
Bob Ludwig '66E, disk master to the stars
Alumni Association Announcements
- Deferred giving opportunities
- Fall 1998 Reunion for Classes of '83, '84, '88, '89, '93-'98
- Alumni benefits
Special Report: Bridging the Cultural Gap Between Poverty and Medicine
by Tom Rickey
"We need to do a better job of teaching our young physicians the 'art part' of dealing with people in poverty," says the head of pediatric emergency medicine at the Medical Center's Strong Memorial Hospital.
Jim Pawelczyk's Excellent Adventure
by Steve Bradt
When Jim Pawelczyk '82 was a junior, his swim coach set him to researching the mechanics of competitive swimming. And that, it seems, is how he got started on a career that put him aboard the 25th flight of space shuttle Columbia.
by Sally Parker
Literary scholar Bette London examines the practice of automatic writing--the transcription of spirit messages received from beyond the grave. It is, she says, one of the unorthodox routes to authorship taken by women writers of the not-so-distant past.
125 Years of "Workings and History"
Through a series of changes in name, literary style, and editorial slant, the Campus Times hits its century-and-a-quarter mark. It's celebrated on these pages with excerpts culled from 125 years of student newspapering.
1997-1998: A Year in Review
From the discovery of a novel way of producing DNA, to new alliances in health care and music education, to national and international conferences on the Congress, quantum optics, and Robin Hood--a look back at the academic year just past.
Join Our Listserv
Want to be alerted by e-mail as soon as Rochester Review is posted to the Web? To receive regular e-mail synopses of the latest electronic issue, send an e-mail note to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the message type, in lower case: subscribe rochrev
Rochester Review for the Web
Editor: Margaret Bond
Associate editor: Kathy Quinn Thomas
Class Notes editor: Tricia Campbell
Design supervisor: Stephen Reynolds
Webmaster: Joseph P. Chakalis, Sr.
Staff photographer: Joe Galowicz
Copy coordinator: Joyce Farrell
Editorial office: 147 Administration Building, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627-0033
(716) 275-4117 | Fax: (716) 275-0359 | E-mail: email@example.com. edu
Published three times a year for alumni, students, their parents, and other friends of the University, Rochester Review is produced by the Office of University Public Relations, Robert Kraus, associate vice president for public relations.
Opinions expressed are those of the authors, the editors, or their subjects and do not necessarily represent official positions of the University of Rochester.
| UR Home | Mail |
Copyright 1998, University of Rochester
Maintained by University Public Relations