When a student is in crisis and you become aware of this information during normal business hours (Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.), please contact security and notify the Office of the Dean of Students at (585) 275-4085.
When a student is in crisis and you become aware of this information outside of normal business hours, please refer to the following procedure:
1. Identify the situation as a crisis.
- The student discloses that he or she is suicidal or may cause harm to him or herself.
- The student discloses that he or she is homicidal or may cause harm to someone else.
- The student is in pain and needs assistance immediately.
- The student has experienced a loss of contact with reality.
- Any situation in which you believe it would be in the student’s best interest to react immediately.
2. Gather as much information as possible.
- Locate concerning emails, phone notes, and information from people who know the student.
- Identify the student’s location, phone number, or other identifying information.
- Is there anyone with the student currently? Can anyone respond or assist immediately?
3. Tell the student how you are planning to respond.
- Let the student know how you will be responding to his or her crisis, so he or she knows what to expect and can potentially assist with response efforts.
- Review the list of crisis contacts below.
5. Notify appropriate campus officials.
- Each office should discuss appropriate response protocol prior to a crisis occurring. Common crisis response protocols include:
- Enacting office phone trees
- Previously establishing a crisis contact person
- Determining expected reporting procedures
- Creating a checklist of people who should be notified in a crisis
- Consider including the Office of the Dean of Students (specifically The CARE Network) in your follow-up procedures: www.rochester.edu/care/contact or (585) 275-4085.
Alternatives for Battered Women: (585) 232-7353
Center for Youth (emergency shelter services, etc.): (585) 271-7670 or 886-617-5437
UR Public Safety: (585) 275-3333 or x13 or *413 from Verizon or ATT cell phones
Life Line (suicide hotline): (585) 275-5151 or (585) 275-2700 TTY
Rape Crisis: (585) 546-2777
Rochester Police Department: 911
UCC 24-hour consultations: (585) 275-3113, UCC Crisis Website