Health Committee Letter
Most health professions schools require letters of recommendation as part of their application process. For students applying to medical, dental or veterinary school, the Greene Center prepares a special recommendation letter, known as the Health Committee (HC) letter, for eligible individuals.
Rochester’s Health Committee Letter
At the University of Rochester, the HC Letter is a confidential letter of recommendation (LOR) from the Gwen M. Greene Center for Career Education and Connections. For the 2019 application cycle, it will be considered an INDIVIDUAL COMMITTEE LETTER which includes a cover letter describing the UR curriculum, plus a letter describing the applicant’s background, accomplishments during their time at UR and development of pre-professional competencies. This is NOT a packet and does not include additional LORs. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ask for and collect additional LORs from a variety of sources. Check with the schools to which you are applying to determine their specific LOR requirements.
The committee letter is based on the applicant’s submitted Health Professions Questionnaire (HPQ), interactions with the Greene Center and interview with a Career Advisor, and the student’s academic record. This letter will mention activities both inside and outside of the classroom, as well as the applicant’s motivation to pursue their intended field. The Health Committee Letter serves to bring context to the applicant’s background, describe their demonstration of pre-professional school competencies, and give professional programs a holistic representation of the candidate.
In order to receive a Health Committee Letter, there are several requirements and deadlines applicants must meet.
Health Committee Letter Timeline
Meet Eligibility Requirements:
In order to be eligible for a health committee letter for the 2019 application cycle (for 2020 matriculation), you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a current University of Rochester undergraduate student, or have graduated from the U of R in 2017 or after. Note: students who have completed, or are in the process of completing a post-baccalaureate program, graduate program, or significant coursework at another academic institution are not eligible for a committee letter. If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor through Handshake, selecting the appointment type ‘Healthcare, Human Services, and Biomedical Research Graduate School Advising’.
- If you are requesting an update to a previous health committee letter request, and meet all other eligibility requirements, you are expected to complete all steps as described below. PLEASE NOTE: Students are only eligible for a maximum of one updated letter.
- Be in good standing with the University, including matters related to academic performance, academic honesty and student conduct.
- There is NO minimum GPA requirement.
- Apply to ONE of the following types of programs: Medical (M.D. and/or D.O), Dental or Vet.
- Subscribe to Interfolio, open a Dossier account and create a CONFIDENTIAL recommendation request.
- When entering the letter information into your relevant application service, please include the following information:
- Letter Type and Title: Committee Letter
- School: University of Rochester
- Primary Contact:
- Name: Caterina M. Caiazza, Director, Career Curriculum Initiatives
- Address: Gwen M. Greene Center for Career Education and Connections, University of Rochester, 4-200 Dewey Hall, Box 270028, Rochester, NY 14627
- Phone: (585) 275-2366
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If at any point you determine that you are no longer applying for professional school this cycle, you must notify the Greene Center by email.
Submit the Health Professions Questionnaire
The Health Professions Questionnaire is an online form that prepares students for their professional school applications. In addition to guiding self-reflection and decision-making, it is one of the requirements for students to complete as part of their Health Committee Letter request. Information submitted in the HPQ will be used in the advising process, as well as within a student's Health Committee Letter
- Submit a Health Professions Questionnaire (HPQ) by NOON (12:00 PM) EST on Thursday, January 31, 2019. The HPQ can be accessed here.
Submit Standardized Test Score
- Please notify us of your standardized test score no later than June 26, 2019.
- If you receive your score AFTER June 26, please know that your HCL will not be guaranteed by August 15, 2019.
- Update your test score onto the HPQ once received.
Schedule an interview with a Career Advisor
Interviews will take place during the months of February and March 2019. You can schedule your interview online through Handshake, by selecting the "HPQ Interview" appointment type. If you have any trouble accessing Handshake, please contact the Greene Center at (585) 275-2366 to schedule your HPQ Interview. Applicants may begin scheduling their interviews on February 1, after the HPQ submission deadline and must have completed their HPQ Interview by March 31st
- The interviews will be 45 minutes and will take place in the Greene Center, 4-200 Dewey Hall. If you are not local, please request the phone/video appointment medium.
- The interview will ask a series of questions to understand you as an applicant and your motivation towards the program to which you are applying. Click here for interview resources. We will be utilizing the core competencies to evaluate your readiness.
- Treat this as a professional interview. You don't have to wear a suit but you can if you would like. Sweatpants and very casual wear is discouraged.
- This is your opportunity to assist us in writing a letter to advocate for YOU! Please keep this in mind when preparing for your interview with us.
- If all the HPQ requirements are completed by the deadlines outlined above, your HCL will be written and uploaded to Interfolio no later than August 15, 2019. If any deadlines are missed, your letter will not be guaranteed by August 15, 2019.
- You do NOT need this letter to apply on-time. You should submit your primary application as close to the open submission date as possible, respond to your secondary applications within 1-2 weeks, and then submit your HCL letter as soon as you are notified by Interfolio that it has been uploaded.