Skip to main content

Advising Handbook


Students who are not able to complete requirements for graduation in eight semesters or have reasons to request permission to remain a student for an additional year may do so by petitioning their Administrative Committee. However, students who need an additional semester to complete requirements for graduation would not ordinarily need to request reclassification. Instead they should speak to an advisor in Advising Services to request permission to register. Students should recognize that University financial aid is limited to eight semesters (or, for transfer students, the graduation date established when admitted). Students who fall more than eight credits behind the “normal progress” guidelines (See Classification) are reclassified to the next class. Once credit has been made up, students may ask to be placed into their original class. Students who fail to be accepted into a major by March of their junior year are reclassified to sophomore standing. Students may later request reclassification to their former class after being accepted into a major.  Financial aid recipients, including HEOP students and those who attended ECO, must submit appeals requesting aid beyond the eighth semester, but these are not automatically approved and alternative loans may be the only aid option. (See Financial Aid)

Students who wish to accelerate should discuss their plans first in the Center for Advising Services, as several policies may impact your planning.  (See Acceleration and Enrollment Policy)