Skip to main content

Advising Handbook


Additional Semesters

Students who are not able to complete requirements for graduation in eight semesters or have reasons to request permission to remain a student for an additional year can do so by petitioning their Administrative Committee.

Students who need an additional semester to complete requirements for graduation would not ordinarily need to request reclassification. Instead, they should speak to an advisor in the College Center for Advising Services (CCAS) to request permission to register.

University financial aid is limited to eight semesters (or, for transfer students, the graduation date established when admitted). Financial aid recipients, including HEOP students and those who attended ECO, must submit appeals requesting aid beyond the eighth semester. These requests are not automatically approved and alternative loans may be the only aid option.

Students who fall more than eight credits behind the “normal progress” guidelines (see the classification page) are reclassified to the next class. Once credit has been made up, students can ask to be placed into their original class.


Students who fail to be accepted into a major by March of their junior year are reclassified to sophomore standing. Students can later request reclassification to their former class after being accepted into a major. 

Accelerated Graduation

Students who wish to accelerate should discuss their plans first with CCAS, as several policies may impact your planning. See the acceleration and enrollment policies for more information.

Note that first-year students admitted to begin in a spring semester are classified with the upcoming fall semester class. For example, a student admitted in the spring 2019 semester will be classified in the Class of 2023. These students are eligible to reclassify to an earlier class year so long as they fulfill the College's enrollment policy.