The Discover Grant for Undergraduate Summer Research
Current University of Rochester undergraduates can apply for funding to support summer research:*
- On campus
- At the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC)
- With a research advisor at another institution
- In private industry
- As part of an independent project under the guidance of a faculty mentor
Only current, matriculated first-year students, sophomores, juniors, and non-graduating seniors can apply. Any research experience after graduation is ineligible for a Discover Grant.
Since these awards are meant to increase and enhance undergraduate research opportunities, preference is given to proposals that demonstrate clearly how the funding enables a research opportunity to happen where it would not otherwise occur.
*If you are applying for Discover Grant funding that will be used during the regular academic year, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Research.
The application process for summer research funding is as follows:
- Search for and secure an internship/research opportunity (opportunity must be secured before applying for funding; your research supervisor will receive a request to confirm your research experience)
- Apply online for funding (application period opens March 1)
- Complete all the pages of the application
- Submit completed application
You will receive an email confirmation after submission.
Award amounts are based on budget submitted and range from $250 to $2500; the average award is expected to be approximately $1000.
*Please note: If you are a Research and Innovation Grant (RIG) recipient, you will be expected to use your RIG before you may apply for funding from another source. For more information about how to request a disbursement from your RIG, see the RIG page.
- Applications open on March 1.
- The deadline for submission is 11:59 pm on April 8; applications will not be reviewed until after the final submission date.
- Funding decisions will be returned to applicants by the end of April.
- Awards will be paid out to the students in two equal payments on June 30 and July 15.