Office Of The Bursar
Study Abroad Billing Information
- If you are participating in a study abroad program in the fall, you will receive your fall semester bill in July.
- If you are participating in a study abroad program in the spring, you will receive your spring semester bill in December. You will not receive a bill in November, unless you still have a balance from the fall semester.
- Students participating in a full-year program will be billed on a semester basis.
- Your balance must be paid in full from the prior semester to register for a study abroad program. If you have a past due balance, you may settle your account with the Bursar’s Office, 330 Meliora Hall, 275-3931. Your registration for a study abroad program is subject to cancellation if payment is not kept current and your past due balance is $5,000 or greater, or if you submit a check that is returned by the bank, unless acceptable arrangements are promptly made.
- If you are participating in a non-UR sponsored program, the University of Rochester will bill you for the study abroad fee. You will be billed directly for the program cost by the college or university that sponsors your program.
Before you leave:
- Contact the Bursar's Office before you leave if you are receiving an outside scholarship or alternative loan that requires your endorsement. We will make arrangements with you to have the check(s) signed so that you will be credited with the awarded funds.
- If someone other than yourself will be handling your financial affairs while you are abroad, please be sure to share this information with that individual.
- If you are expecting to receive a refund of financial aid (your financial aid must exceed your charges), you need to contact the Bursar’s Office before you leave to make arrangements to receive this refund. If you are participating in a UR-sponsored program, the Bursar’s Office cannot issue a refund until at least 10 days prior to the start of classes at the University of Rochester.
- If you are participating in a non-UR sponsored program you will need to complete a consortium agreement. Before your financial aid can be credited to your account, the Bursar’s Office will need to verify your registration (i.e. credit hours) with the consortium school. Your registration will not be verified until your program start date. A refund check cannot be issued until your registration can be verified. In general, students should plan to cover at least the first month’s expenses.
- In Section 3 of the consortium agreement, the student indicates how their refund check should be made payable. If the student wants the University to issue payment to their study abroad program, they must indicate this in Section 3. If Section 3 is left blank, the refund will be made payable to the student and sent to their billing address.
- The Bursar’s Office is generally not able to advance funds to students to cover airfare or other related expenses prior to departure. If you have any concerns regarding your ability to cover these expenses, please contact your Financial Aid Counselor.
Page updated 5/31/2013 - Maintained by the University Bursar's Office.
Questions or comments regarding this page? Contact the Bursar's Office .