Required Pre-enrollment Documents
Proof of Degree Completion/Official Degree Conferral
Matriculation into a graduate program is contingent upon completion of a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, unless an exception is explicitly noted in the letter of appointment. You must provide proof of degree completion before matriculating into the graduate degree program. Acceptable forms of proof include:
- An official transcript that notes the degree conferral and the date of degree conferral
- An official transcript and an official diploma that notes the degree conferral and the date of degree conferral. This is required for students whose official transcript does not state that a degree has been awarded.
For students graduating from the University of Rochester: Email ASEGEPA@rochester.edu and our office will verify your graduation and degree.
For students graduating from an institution in the United States: Submit an official copy of your transcript (with the degree posted) to the University of Rochester. This transcript cannot be uploaded to the application system. Instead, you can submit by:
- Mail—Your transcript must arrive in an envelope signed and sealed from the degree-granting institution.
- Email—Copies will only be accepted if they are delivered directly from the originating institution through an authorized delivery agent to the University of Rochester. Please have them sent to ASEGEPA@rochester.edu.
For students graduating from an institution outside of the United States: Submit an official copy of your transcript (with your degree posted) to the University of Rochester. If your transcript does not show that a bachelor’s degree has been awarded, you will need to provide a degree certificate and/or graduation certificate. You will need to submit the original and a certified translated copy.
If you are only granted one official copy of your degree conferral, please email ASEGEPA@rochester.edu to discuss your options.
Health History Packet
After accepting admission to the University, you will receive a Health History Packet that must be completed before matriculation. New York State requires that all full-time and part-time students enrolled for at least six credit hours per semester (or four quarter hours per quarter), born on or after January 1, 1957, must provide evidence of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella. The law also mandates that full-time students indicate receipt of information about meningococcal disease and the availability of a vaccination for students.
Students from countries where tuberculosis is endemic must be screened for TB using a PPD test. The University of Rochester also requires a tetanus vaccination, preferably containing pertussis.
Students not in compliance with the immunization requirements will be withdrawn from their program and required to leave campus. Further information about the immunization requirements is on the University Health Service website in the student services section.
Employment Eligibility Verification
All students receiving assistantships from the University must submit proof of their employment eligibility, as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Failure to complete Form I-9 for employment eligibility verification will result in termination of an assistantship. You can complete the I-9 form upon arrival on campus.
In addition to the I-9 form, we will need documents that establish identity and employment eligibility.
Documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility are:
- US passport
- Certificate of US citizenship
- Certificate of naturalization
- Unexpired foreign passport with attached employment authorization
- Alien registration card with photograph
Documents that establish identity:
- US military card
- State-issued driver’s license
- State-issued ID card with a photograph that includes your name, sex, date of birth, height, weight, and color of eyes
Documents that establish employment eligibility:
- Original Social Security Number card (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment)
- Birth certificate issued by a state, country, or municipal authority bearing a seal or other certification
- Unexpired USCIS Employment Authorization
For employment verification students will need to go to the following address for I-9 paperwork:
Brooks Landing Business Center
910 Genesee Street, Suite 200
Rochester, NY 14611-3847
Phone (585) 275-8567
For more information please contact your Graduate Program Coordinator.