Skip to main content

Incoming Students

Required Pre-enrollment Documents

Proof of Degree Completion/Official Degree Conferral: Matriculation into a graduate program is contingent upon completion of the requirements for a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, unless an exception is explicitly noted in the letter of appointment. You must provide proof of degree completion before matriculating into the graduate degree program. Acceptable forms of proof include:

  1. An official transcript that notes the degree conferral and the date of degree conferral.
  2. An official diploma that notes the degree conferral and the date of degree conferral.

For students graduating from the University of Rochester: If you have graduated from the University of Rochester, please email and our office will verify your graduation and degree.

For students graduating from an institution in the United States: If you have graduated from an institution in the United States, you will need to submit an official copy of your transcript with the degree posted to the University of Rochester.

This transcript cannot be uploaded to the application system. If mailing, the transcript must arrive in an envelope signed and sealed at the degree granting institution. Electronic copies will be accepted if they are delivered directly from the originating institution through an authorized delivery agent to the University of Rochester. Please have them sent to

For students graduating from an institution outside of the United States: If you have graduated from a university outside of the United States, you will need to submit an official copy of your transcript with your degree posted to the University of Rochester. If your transcript DOES NOT show a bachelor’s degree has been awarded,  you will need to provide a degree certificate and/or a graduation certificate. You will need to submit the original and a certified translated copy. Often our international students are only granted one official copy of their degree conferral. If this applies to you, please email to discuss your options.

Health History Packet: After accepting admission to the University, you will receive a Health History Packet that must be completed before matriculation. New York State Public Health Law #2165 requires that all full-time and part-time students enrolled for at least six credit hours per semester (or 4 quarter hours per quarter), born on or after January 1, 1957, attending a college or university in New York State, must provide evidence of immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella. The law also mandates that full time students indicate receipt of information about Meningococcal disease and the availability of a vaccination for students. Students from countries where tuberculosis is endemic must be screened for TB using a PPD test. The University of Rochester also requires a tetanus vaccination, preferably containing Pertussis. Students not in compliance with the immunization requirements will be withdrawn from school and required to leave campus. Further information about the immunization requirements is on the University Health Service website in the Student Services section.

Employment Eligibility Verification: All students receiving assistantships from the University must submit proof of their employment eligibility, as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Failure to complete Form I-9 for employment eligibility verification will result in termination of an assistantship. You can complete the I-9 form upon arrival on campus.

  1. Documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility are (a) a US passport, (b) a certificate of US citizenship, (c) a certificate of naturalization, (d) an unexpired foreign passport with attached employment authorization or (e) an alien registration card with photograph.


  2. b. You can prove your identity by providing a US Military Card, a state-issued driver’s license, or a state-issued ID card with a photograph that includes your name, sex, date of birth, height, weight, and color of eyes. You can establish employment eligibility by producing either an original Social Security number card (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment), a birth certificate issued by a state, country, or municipal authority bearing a seal or other certification, or by an unexpired USCIS Employment Authorization.