The Teaching Center welcomes new instructors and offers resources and assistance to help them get started.
New Instructor Teaching Orientation
For AS&E instructors starting in spring 2024, the Teaching Center is holding a drop-in session on Tuesday, January 9, from 4-5 pm to answer questions. Email email@example.com for the Zoom link.
Each summer, the Teaching Center offers a two-part new instructor teaching orientation in collaboration with the Provost’s Office and the Arts, Sciences & Engineering (AS&E) Deans’ Office. The orientation serves all new AS&E instructors on multi-year contracts and all new University of Rochester instructors of any rank or school on multi-year contracts who will be teaching undergraduates.
These two sessions are designed to be an easy and efficient way for instructors to get ready to teach. An overview of the sessions is below.
While we will be contacting instructors directly to invite them to participate, we encourage any instructor who was not contacted to register by emailing the Teaching Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part one agenda:
- Welcome and introduction
- Learner-centered teaching
- Syllabus overview and template
- Universal design for learning/accessibility
- Policy and compliance
- Learning outcomes
- Backwards design
- Inclusive feedback
- Learning activities
- Teaching and learning software
Part two agenda:
- Teaching an effective first day of class
- Creating a sustainable teaching practice
- Documenting your teaching effectiveness
- BREAK (open only to instructors teaching AS&E students after this point)
- Welcome from AS&E deans
- Introduction to the Teaching Center programs
- Faculty panel: Teaching Center program participants and career trajectories
- Teaching support offices panel