Publishing a Page
Your changes will be saved in the WCMS after you Submit your draft, but they will not appear in your website until the page is published.
When you publish a page, it will be uploaded directly to a public web server of the University of Rochester. Normally, the Destination for this server will be named "www_server_destination." If your site is still under development, then you may need to publish to a temporary development server, which is usually named "dev_server_destination."
Publishing a page:
- Select the page that you want to publish
- Click the Cloud icon (labeled "Publish" on large screens)
- The Destination for the server where your page should appear will be already selected
- Click Submit
After you click Submit, your page will be added to the Publish queue. Depending on whether there are other pages that are already in the queue, your page may be uploaded right away or there may be a delay of several minutes. You can check the progress of your publishing job by viewing the Publish queue.
To view the Publish queue:
- After you publish your page, a dialog with a link to "View publish queue" will appear briefly at the bottom of your browser window. Just click on that link to see the queue.
- Or you can click on the hamburger menu and select "Publish Queue" (top right on large screens or top left on mobile devices)
- Look for the name of the page that you published. If you do not see it then your publishing job has finished.
- Open a new browser window and navigate to the online page on your server to check it.
If the page did not show up where you expected to see it on your server, there may have been an error in your publishing job. You can check for publishing errors by viewing your Notifications in the WCMS.
To view Notifications:
- If you are using a large screen, select Notifications in the User Menu at the top right; or, if you are on a mobile device, select Notifications in the hamburger menu at the top left
- Or go to your Dashboard and scroll to the Notifications panel
- Click on the most recent "Publish..." notification
- Errors will be highlighted as red text