Attention! Reading/Exam hours begin Saturday 12/13/14!
Group Fitness Classes
The Department of Athletics and Recreation sponsors group fitness classes every semester through the Intramural Sports Program. We offer a variety of aerobic and conditioning classes.
The classes are free for all full-time matriculated students. R-Club members are also eligible participants as a part of the R Club Membership Fee.
All classes are held in the Leibner Room, formally known as the multi-activity center (MAC), which is located within the Goergen Athletic Center. Classes will be offered through the academic year except during University Holidays.
Please wear appropriate and comfortable attire.
Group Fitness Schedule of Classes
|Sunday||9/28-12/7||5:30pm - 6:30pm||Vinyasa Yoga||Kait|
|Sunday||9/28-12/7||6:30pm - 7:30pm||iRest Meditation||Kait|
|Monday||9/15-12/8||5:30pm - 6:30pm||Kickboxing||Kate|
|Monday||9/29-12/8||6:30pm - 7:30pm||Dharma Yoga||Sara|
|Tuesday||9/30-12/9||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Ashtanga Yoga||Kait|
|Tuesday||9/30-12/9||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm||Beginner's Yoga||Lauren|
|Wednesday||9/17-12/10||6:00 pm - 7:30 pm||Iyengar Yoga||Colleen|
|Thursday||9/18-12/11||5:30 pm - 6:30pm||Kickboxing||Kate|
Spring 2015 fitness classes run from 1/14/15 to 4/29/15, with no classes during spring break (3/7/15-3/15/15).
|Sunday||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Vinyasa/ Ashtanga Yoga for Beginners ||Kait|
|Sunday||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm||Advanced Vinyasa/ Ashtanga Yoga||Kait|
|Monday||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Zumba||Margaret|
|Monday||6:30 pm- 7:30 pm||Dharma Yoga||Sara|
|Tuesday||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Zumba||Margaret|
|Tuesday||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm||Yoga Foundations||Lauren|
|Wednesday||6:00 pm - 7:30 pm||Iyengar Yoga||Colleen|
|Thursday||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Kickboxing||Kate|
|Thursday||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm||Dharma Yoga||Sara|
- Iyengar yoga class will focus on muscular-skeletal alignment in each of the postures. We will practice arm balances, standing and supine postures as well as inversions. We will devote about 20 minutes of each class to pranayama (breath control) and meditation. This class is formatted for the beginner as well as intermediate student.
- Kickboxing - This kickboxing class is a non-equipment based class. This class is a combination of cardio and strength with focus on full-body toning. We will be doing mostly basic punches and kicks in kickboxing as well as pilates and yoga. This class is designed for every fitness level. Burn up to 450 calories to some great music. All you need to bring for class is comfortable gym shoes and a water bottle!
- Ashtanga Yoga-This class is also known as the "Modified Primary Series". It will present the Ashtanga Primary Series in a condensed, adapted format, allowing greater accessibility and attention to the specific details of the postures. Students will be informed about the techniques of the breath, bandhas, and drishti.
- Vinyasa Yoga-Vinyasa yoga is sometimes called flow yoga because of the smooth way that the poses become like a dance. Expect lots of movement! Although every class is different, they will all contain sun salutations, forward bends, core work, twists, backbends, and inversions with focus on the breath, bands, and drishti.
- iRest Meditation- iRest Yoga Nidra is a guided meditation that releases negative emotions and thought patterns, calms the nervous system, and develops an overall feeling of well-being. Research has shown that iRest reduces PTSD, depression, anxiety, insomnia, chronic pain, and chemical dependency, as well as increases well-being. iRest is used throughout the world in homeless shelters, prisons, and even with the U.S. military.
- Zumba- Zumba is a fun dance fitness phenomenon enjoyed by men and women of all ages. You will love the combination of dance and exercise together. Zumba is all about great music and easy to follow moves. And although the program is based on international rhythms, especially Latin, all kinds of music is incorporated. No dance experience needed. We just move and have FUN! Ditch the workout and join the party!
- Yoga Foundations- Come and practice yoga in a fun, supportive environment! We’ll focus on the essential alignment and form of the classic yoga poses. While focused on beginners, this class will certainly help more advanced students get deeper into their practice through the discovery of their correct alignment.