Attention: Yoga with Becca is cancelled Monday 12/2/13. Pi-Yo Strength with Mary is cancelled on Thursday 12/5/13.
Group Fitness Classes
The Department of Athletics and Recreation sponsors group fitness classes every semester through the Intramural Sports Program. We offer a variety of aerobic and conditioning classes.
The classes are free for all full-time matriculated students. R-Club members are also eligible participants as a part of the R Club Membership Fee.
All classes are held in the Leibner Room, formally known as the multi-activity center (MAC), which is located within the Goergen Athletic Center. Classes will be offered through the academic year except during University Holidays.
Please wear appropriate and comfortable attire.
Group Fitness Schedule of Classes
Sept 16- Dec 9||
5:30 pm - 6:30pm||
Sept 16- Dec 9||
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Sept 17- Nov 5||
5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
||Strength and Cardio Intervals||Caroline|
Wednesday||Sept 18- Dec 11||
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm||Iyengar Yoga||Colleen|
|Thursday||Sept 19- Dec 12||5:30 pm - 6:30pm||Pi-Yo Strength ||Mary|
|Thursday||Sept 20- Dec 12||6:30pm - 7:30 pm||Zumba||Karen|
- Iyengar yoga class will focus on muscular-skeletal alignment in each of the postures. We will practice arm balances, standing and supine postures as well as inversions. We will devote about 20 minutes of each class to pranayama (breath control) and meditation. This class is formatted for the beginner as well as intermediate student.
- Zumba is a latin-inspired dance-fitness class that incorporates international music and dance movements for a great workout! Come join the party and burn up to 1000 calories in just one hour!
- Yoga - This yoga class is open to anyone! Never tried yoga before? Inflexible? Unable to balance? Embarrassed your friends will see you doing yoga? Not sure what this "Ohhmmmm" thing is about? Perfect. No matter where you are physically, mentally, emotionally, this practice can be for you. The goal of the class is not to turn your body into a pretzel, but to feel release, calm, freedom, joy, and strength in any movement that you do and to leave the practice with an open mind and an open heart. This class will also occasionally have live music! If you are interested in playing music for the class please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kickboxing- This kickboxing class is a non-equipment based class. This class is a
combination of cardio and strength with focus on full-body toning. We will be
doing mostly basic punches and kicks in kickboxing as well as pilates and yoga.
This class is designed for every fitness level. Burn up to 450 calories to some
great music. All you need to bring for class is comfortable gym shoes and a
- Strength and Cardio Interval Training- This class uses interval training as the main method to burn fat and tone muscle. The workout will focus on using body weight effectively to accelerate the heart rate as well as cultivate muscle strength/endurance. The class is an intense exercise environment for people looking for a challenge, but will always provide modifications for advanced exercises. Because of its start and stop nature, people of all fitness levels can choose to go at their own pace and push their bodies to become stronger and healthier regardless of prior exercise habits or capabilities. The goal is that no matter how healthy you see yourself, you can come out of the class feeling like you exceeded your own expectations, with the help and motivation of a group fitness setting. By accelerating the heart rate and confusing the muscles, this workout provides results for anyone who is ready to sweat for an hour and feel great the other twenty-three. Spend Tuesday afternoons with me so that this semester your workout is one less thing to worry about!
- PiYo Strength™ will be sure to make you sweat! PiYo is inspired by Pilates and Yoga, but throw out any expectations you have! You will increase your strength, balance, and flexibility, all while moving to the beat of popular music. This class is suitable for all ages and levels since there are many modifications. Bring your mat (or mats provided!) and join us!