Resources for Parents
The Workshop program is a distinctive opportunity for students attending the University of Rochester. Students can easily get lost in lecture courses and the recitations that often can accompany such courses. These traditional methods tend to promote passive learning with little interaction between the student and the professor or lab leader. Workshops, on the other hand, are small interactive groups that promote learning in a relaxed, non-threatening atmosphere. Workshops give your child more individual attention. Research has overwhelmingly shown that Workshops improve student learning. Students who attend and participate in Workshops perform significantly better than students who do not.
The Workshop program at the University of Rochester is indeed unique. It covers many disciplines and creates an intellectually vibrant and personal learning experience for students. Workshops benefit all who participate from those who struggle to the top of the class. Students make connections with their peers that can last throughout their college years. Workshops personalize your child’s education and therefore provide crucial academic support.
- Workshops are good for students! They:
- Improve learning.
- Improve grades.
- Promote student interactions academically and socially creating a more collaborative atmosphere campus wide.
- Frequently heard comments from Workshop participants:
- The informal atmosphere makes learning the material more fun.
- Concepts are studied in a way that makes it easier to understand.
- Workshop problems are good guidelines for test problems.
- After Workshop, all the problems are easier to understand.
- It’s easy to ask for help because of the willingness and availability of the Workshop leader.
- Workshops are very helpful and absolutely necessary.
- I really appreciate the support I get from my Workshop leader.
- Workshop leaders are well-prepared and knowledgeable.
- I passed the class because of Workshop!
- How will Workshops help my son/daughter?
- As a rule, Workshop students get better grades, learn more, develop effective study skills, and cultivate academic partnerships that last. Workshops do all this AND they make learning the material more fun!
- Will workshops be more work for my son/daughter?
- There is extra scheduled class time; however, this class time is very structured and efficient. Students find that time spent in Workshop is time very well spent. By and large the most common response to Workshop is that they help students to perform better in the course and research backs this up semester after semester.
- My student has special needs. How will workshops help her/him?
- Workshops are effective for all types of students. Because they are peer-led and small, students are much more willing to ask questions and get one-on-one help from their peers including the workshop leader.
- More FAQs »»
Departments and Courses with a Workshop Component
Offerings vary by semester. For a list of up-to-date courses contact Center for Excellence in Teaching & Learning.