Kearns Center Summer Research Programs
Welcome to the University of Rochester!
The Kearns Center’s summer research programs offer undergraduate students the opportunity to participate in nationally funded research groups across multiple disciplines. Designed for students with an interest in pursuing graduate education, the program provides a firsthand glimpse into life as a graduate student and prepares undergraduates to take that next step. Students are selected to work closely with a specific faculty mentor and their team of researchers throughout the summer on either an ongoing research project or a project condensed to fit the 9-week timeframe.
For all our students participating in summer research programs or academic classes, please find a list of all Kearns Center Events on our page.
- Office of Summer and Part-Time Studies offers a Campus Life Resources page and a Summer Events and Activities page. Check it out!
- For off-campus events, see our Social Calendar or search the Explore Rochester Guidebook.
- University of Rochester Shuttle Bus Service - Summer Schedule
- Join our Remind group! Receive texts to your phone or download the Remind app for important updates this summer. Click here to join!
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out via email to KearnsCollegePrograms@ur.rochester.edu
Summer Newsletter: Did you miss our newsletter? Can't find it in your inbox?
Click to view Week 4 UR 2018 Summer Updates
Click to view Week 3 UR 2018 Summer Updates
Click to view Week 2 UR 2018 Summer Updates
Click to view Week 1 Important Updates
Click to view Welcome! UR 2018 Summer Updates
Friday, June 29
Mid-Summer BBQ (required activity)
Kearns Kickball Tournament - Sign-up to participate!
Upward Bound BBQ (optional) - RSVP to attend!
Monday, July 30
|Summer Research Symposium|
Tuesday, July 31
|Departure date for scholars|
The summer is a short time to undertake a research project, but a long time to be away from family and friends. A unique feature of the Kearns Center’s Summer Research Programs is that we facilitate interaction among all our visiting summer research students. This allows scholars to get to know students conducting research in the humanities, social science, natural science, and engineering and provides more opportunities for you to develop friendships with students from across the country.
Room and Board
Seminars and Workshops
Workshop topics include:
- Applying to graduate school
- Writing an effective purpose statement
- Taking the GRE
- Communicating your science through presentations
A concluding research symposium gives scholars the opportunity to showcase their research and prepare for professional conference presentations.
- Mid-Summer Research BBQ
- Tour of Rochester, NY
- Rochester’s International Jazz Festival