Kearns Center Summer Research Programs
Welcome to the University of Rochester!
The Kearns Center’s summer research programs offer undergraduate students the opportunity to participate in nationally funded research groups across multiple disciplines. Designed for students with an interest in pursuing graduate education, the program provides a firsthand glimpse into life as a graduate student and prepares undergraduates to take that next step. Students are selected to work closely with a specific faculty mentor and their team of researchers throughout the summer on either an ongoing research project or a project condensed to fit the 9-week timeframe.
- Ronald E. McNair Post-baccalaureate Achievement Program
- Xerox Engineering Research Fellows Program
- NSF REU: Advancing Human Health, Nano to Network
- NSF REU: Nano-, Bio-, and Quantum Photonics
- NSF REU: Computational Methods for Understanding Music, Media, and Minds
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out via email to KearnsCollegePrograms@ur.rochester.edu
The summer is a short time to undertake a research project, but a long time to be away from family and friends. A unique feature of the Kearns Center’s Summer Research Programs is that we facilitate interaction among all our visiting summer research students. This allows scholars to get to know students conducting research in the humanities, social science, natural science, and engineering and provides more opportunities for you to develop friendships with students from across the country.
Room and Board
Seminars and Workshops
Workshop topics include:
- Applying to graduate school
- Writing an effective purpose statement
- Taking the GRE
- Communicating your science through presentations
A concluding research symposium gives scholars the opportunity to showcase their research and prepare for professional conference presentations.
- Mid-Summer Research BBQ
- Tour of Rochester, NY
- Rochester’s International Jazz Festival
2019 Summer Program Information
GRE Preparation Courses
Graduate Record Practice Exam (GRE)
- How to Take the GRE POWERPREP® Online - Practice Test 1
- Go to the ETS website and create an account (or login if you already have an account).
- Go to the POWERPREP® website and select "POWERPREP® Online - Practice Test 1".
- Log in to ETS and go to the "My Test Preparation and Services" section of your ETS account and select "Go To Practice Test".
- Take the practice test. You will be able to save your work in the Practice Test and return to it later if need be. If you are taking the full test in a single sitting, allow up to 3.5 hours to complete it.
- How to Send Your Practice Test Scores to the Kearns Center
- Once you complete the practice, submit your GRE Scores and writing answers here: Kearns GRE Submission