Group Fitness Classes
The Department of Athletics and Recreation sponsors group fitness classes every semester through the Intramural Sports Program. We offer a variety of aerobic and conditioning classes.
The classes are free for all full-time matriculated students. R-Club members are also eligible participants as a part of the R Club Membership Fee.
All classes are held in the Leibner Room, formally known as the multi-activity center (MAC), which is located within the Goergen Athletic Center. Classes will be offered through the academic year except during University Holidays.
Please wear appropriate and comfortable attire.
Group Fitness Schedule of Classes
|Sunday||Jan 26 - April 20||5:00pm - 6:00pm||Kickboxing||Kate|
|Sunday||Feb 2 - April 20||6:00pm - 7:00pm||Yoga||Beca|
|Tuesday||Jan 28 - April 22||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Turbo Kick||Mary|
|Tuesday||Jan 28 - April 22||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
|Wednesday||Jan 29 - April 23||6:00 pm - 7:30 pm||Iyengar Yoga||Colleen|
|Thursday||Feb 6- April 24||5:30 pm - 6:30pm||Yoga||Becca|
|Thursday||Jan 30- April 24||6:30pm - 7:30 pm||Kickboxing ||Kate|
*Zumba has been cancelled for the rest of the semester. We plan to continue this class in Fall 2014.
- Iyengar yoga class will focus on muscular-skeletal alignment in each of the postures. We will practice arm balances, standing and supine postures as well as inversions. We will devote about 20 minutes of each class to pranayama (breath control) and meditation. This class is formatted for the beginner as well as intermediate student.
- Zumba "Ditch the workout and join the party!” Zumba is a fusion of Latin and International music and dance themes that create a dynamic, exciting, effective fitness system by mixing body sculpting movements with easy to follow dance steps. Using interval training and combining fast and slow rhythms, it provides an aerobic workout while at the same time targeting the legs, abs, glutes and arms. Best of all, you don't need any previous dance experience!
- Yoga - This yoga class is open to anyone! Never tried yoga before? Inflexible? Unable to balance? Embarrassed your friends will see you doing yoga? Not sure what this "Ohhmmmm" thing is about? Perfect. No matter where you are physically, mentally, emotionally, this practice can be for you. The goal of the class is not to turn your body into a pretzel, but to feel release, calm, freedom, joy, and strength in any movement that you do and to leave the practice with an open mind and an open heart. This class will also occasionally have live music! If you are interested in playing music for the class please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kickboxing - This kickboxing class is a non-equipment based class. This class is a
combination of cardio and strength with focus on full-body toning. We will be
doing mostly basic punches and kicks in kickboxing as well as pilates and yoga.
This class is designed for every fitness level. Burn up to 450 calories to some
great music. All you need to bring for class is comfortable gym shoes and a
- PiYo Strength™ will be sure to make you sweat! PiYo is inspired by Pilates and Yoga, but throw out any expectations you have! You will increase your strength, balance, and flexibility, all while moving to the beat of popular music. This class is suitable for all ages and levels since there are many modifications. Bring your mat (or mats provided!) and join us!
- Turbo Kick- Created by fitness celebrity Chalene Johnson, Turbo Kick will provides a full-body workout with ab sculpting moves and fat burning cardio! Set to pop and hip hop music, this class is a punching and kicking party with the potential to burn up to 1,000 calories!