PumpPrimer is an intramural funding program for Arts, Science and Engineering researchers. It is designed to stimulate extramural funding for projects that are otherwise difficult to launch.
Multi-institutional and/or multi-investigator research projects:
Federal agencies are exploring award mechanisms that bring together experts with complementary skills to address grand challenges.
We encourage faculty to take on such large-scale initiatives because they can potentially benefit multiple AS&E faculty, increase the quality and stability of our research infrastructure, and increase our national and international visibility.
Since such proposals require intensive preparation, the Dean’s office may provide:
- Teaching relief for the faculty member who champions the project.
- Administrative support from our office for proposal preparation.
- Travel costs up to $5K for planning proposals that bring together researchers from different institutions.
- Researcher mobility travel grants of up to $5K to conduct overseas research visits (one to three months) in support of faculty research and expanding international collaborative networks.
Innovative and high-risk projects:
The increasingly competitive environment for extramural funding increases the need for proof of concept and/or pilot data in proposals and decreases funding of high-risk proposals. To help faculty secure extramural funding for bold new research directions, the Dean’s office will provide funding for up to one year.
- Typical budgets will be $1-20K. In rare instances, budgets as large as $50K may be awarded.
- Cost-sharing with departmental resources is encouraged.
Applicants for both mechanisms are expected to submit a proposal for external funding within 18 months of the allocation of intramural PumpPrimer support. Both mechanisms will require a brief final survey to help us evaluate the effectiveness of this program.
Faculty in Arts & Science:
Refer questions to Debra Haring, firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty in Engineering:
Refer questions to Cindy Gary, email@example.com