PumpPrimer II Guidelines
Printable Guidelines [PDF]
PumpPrimer II support is specifically to help fund pilot research. Successful applications must make a compelling argument that the research direction is truly innovative; applicants must have a strong track record of research productivity, and provide evidence that no alternative funds are available for the project. Applications for PumpPrimer funds that merely supplement or extend an ongoing research program are not eligible.
All tenure track faculty are eligible to apply. Applicants must demonstrate a strong record of productivity. Junior faculty who have start-up funding remaining and/or have not yet completed their first term of appointment are not eligible to apply for PumpPrimer II funding.
Funds may not be used for faculty salary. Travel will not be allowed unless research must be conducted offsite.
Budget requests should be in the range of $1-20K; exceptional cases for up to $50,000 will be considered. PumpPrimer funds may not be requested for faculty salary or travel, other than travel for the research purposes essential to the project.
A review committee of relevant AS&E faculty will make funding recommendations to the Dean’s Office for final approval.
Via the application website using PumpPrimer II application form(s).
February 1, 2016
Prepare the following PumpPrimer II proposal items and upload to the application website at www.rochester.edu/fort/pumpprimer/.
- Cover Page
- Research Plan:
- Write the Research Plan in language intelligible to the non-specialist.
- Use Times New Roman font, no smaller than 11 points with one inch margins.
- Summarize the goal of the new research direction this pilot project will enable (0.5 page max).
- Explain why this research direction is significant and innovative (0.5 page max).
- Explain how the requested pilot funding will help you secure extramural funding for this research direction (0.5 page max).
- Explain how this new research direction is distinct from your current research program (0.5 page max).
- CV - Provide the resumes for the lead PI and other significant collaborators (4 pages max in NSF, NIH, or NEH style).
- Budget - Provide an itemized budget for the pilot project including a brief justification for each line item.
- Funds may not be used for faculty salary or travel, other than travel essential to the project.
- Current and Pending Support - For each participating faculty member who has external grant support, provide:
- By grant, the title, duration, and amount of all active and pending awards.
- A brief narrative summary of the project.
- Support for the lead PI and significant collaborators over the past five years.
- Brief statement from the department chair:
- What is the project's importance to the investigator and the department?
- How will PumpPrimer II support lead to extramural funding that could otherwise not be obtained?
- Does the faculty member have other internal funding that could be allocated to the proposed project?
- What is your plan for departmental cost-sharing? Departments with resources to share the cost of this project with the Dean's Office are expected to do so. (e.g. actual cash outlay, technical staff salaries, support for summer students, etc.)