Adding or Removing a Person in the Directory
In websites for academic departments, the web pages for faculty, staff, and student directories are stored in the subfolders of the people folder. Each of these subfolders contains a separate folder for each person, as well as a specialized index page that is programmed to automatically display the directory. Inside each person's folder, there is another specialized index page that is programmed to automatically display that person's home page.
Each person's folder contains an assets folder, _content folder, and, if the person is a faculty member, it will also contain the specialized index page to display their standard home page. Inside the nested _content folder, you will see that person's content blocks. Inside the assets folder, you will see separate folders named "images" and "pdf."
The separate blocks for people information allow us to reuse this content in other web pages, but only edit it in one place.
To add new person:
- Select the "people" folder then select the appropriate category folder for the person by clicking the arrow to the right of the folder. (for example, faculty, gradstudent, staff, etc.)
- Click the Plus Icon in the top navigation bar, and select the appropriate folder type. (for example, "Faculty Folder", "Staff Folder", etc.)
- Make sure the Placement Folder is the correct folder category and change it if necessary.
- Change the Display Name to the person's name using the format of lastname-firstname.
- Click Submit in the upper right corner of the dialog box and then click the checkmark icon.
- Select the new person's "assets" folder and upload their photo to the "images" folder. (Adjust the size to 300 pixels by 360 pixels at this time if needed.) Their CV or any papers should go in their "pdf" folder. See uploading an image or adding a PDF file for more information.
- Select the "_content" folder and enter the person's content in the corresponding content blocks.
- Once you have entered all of the content, you will need to publish the entire "people" folder. Or alternatively, you can publish the following:
- The folder for the new person
- The "index" file of the person's category folder (if applicable)
- The "index" file of the "people" folder
To add publications:
- Inside the "_content" folder for the person, select the block named "publications"
- Enter the information for the first publication in the WYSIWYG field, and remember to press the "Return" key on your keyboard at the end of your entry
- To add another publication, click the plus (+) sign to insert a blank WYSIWYG section and enter the new information. Only one paper per WYSIWYG, so continue to click the + to add as many new publications as needed
To delete a person:
- Select the person's folder and click the Dots icon at the top right, labeled "More" on large screens
- Select "Delete"
- Click Delete again
- Re-publish the "people" folder to update its index pages
Note: The person's deleted folder will go in to the recycle bin and can be restored if needed.
For inactive faculty:
- Select the person's folder and click the Dots icon at top right, labeled "More" on large screens
- Select "Unpublish" and then click "Submit"
- Select their "core" or "lastname_firstname" content block within their "_content" folder
- Click the Pencil Icon to edit
- Select the "Inactive" radio button
- Click "Save & Preview" and "Submit"
- Publish the "people" folder to update its index pages
Note: If you do not wish to keep the person's content for future reference, you can skip steps 3-6 and just delete their folder using "Delete" under the "More" tab after unpublishing but you will still need to do step 7.