Skip to main content


Temporary Medical Conditions

Students are encouraged to contact instructors directly to report an absence resulting from a temporary medical condition. However, students may also request that an email notification be sent to their instructors from the College Center for Advising Services (CCAS). Information related to CCAS procedures on Attendance, Illness, and Medical Absence can be viewed in the Advising Handbook.

In some circumstances, the Office of Disability Resources may be able to offer services similar to those afforded to students with permanent disability eligibilities. Students and instructors are welcome to contact us if they anticipate needing assistance. Qualifying conditions may include broken limbs, hand injuries, concussion, and short-term limitations following surgery or medical procedures. Note: this assistance does not extend to short-term illnesses such as the flu or allergic rhinitis.

The final decision to arrange alternate exam dates or modify assignment deadlines rests with the instructor, as they must weigh the impact on technical standards or essential requirements of the course. Our recommendations do not supersede established academic policies outlined in syllabi. The instructor is encouraged to consult with an access coordinator with any questions.

Depending upon the nature and severity and when in the semester an injury occurs, students may need to consider incomplete contracts or medical leave. In these instances, we refer the student to consult with a professional adviser in CCAS.

Students wishing to pursue Disability Resources’ assistance due to a temporary medical condition should:

  1. Complete our online application 
  2. Request an appointment
  3. Submit doctors’ notes (it is not necessary to wait for a letter from your physician or a discharge summary before contacting us)

An access coordinator will conduct an individualized review of the circumstances and any available medical documentation in order to advise the student, as well as instructors, of services found within the Office of Disability Resources and supports offered in collaboration with partner student service offices.