Grievance Policy

Resolving a Dispute

The University provides both informal and formal processes to attempt to resolve disputes.

Informal Process

  1. In instances where there is a dispute, the student, instructor, University administrative staff, and/or the access coordinator will make every effort to resolve the disagreement.

  2. If a resolution cannot be reached, the student, instructor, or University administrative staff may seek informal resolution by submitting a Request for Review of the disputed decision to the University of Rochester Associate Vice Provost of Disability Compliance. The Associate Vice Provost of Disability Compliance will attempt to resolve the dispute.

  3. If the dispute cannot be resolved the Associate Vice Provost of Disability Compliance will convene the Eligibility Assessment Committee within seven (7) working days of receiving the Request for Review.

  4. The Committee will review the Request for Review and any additional relevant information from University personnel in order to render a decision within ten (10) working days from the date of receiving the Request for Review.

  5. If the individual is not satisfied with the decision of the Committee, a formal grievance must be filed under the Section 504/ADA - Grievance Procedure.

  6. While a Request for Review is under consideration, the instructor will provide the reasonable accommodation as indicated by the access coordinator.
Eligibility Assessment Committee

The Eligibility Assessment Committee is appointed by the Associate Vice Provost of Disability Compliance. This committee serves as a resource for faculty, academic administrators and University students, on a case-by-case basis, in resolving disagreements that arise concerning requests for academic accommodations. The access coordinators will provide general information regarding determination and implementation of accommodations. The Dean or designated representative of the Department offering the course(s) in which the accommodation is requested may be asked to provide information to the committee.

Formal Process – Section 504/ADA Grievance Procedure

The University's formal grievance procedure for challenging a decision regarding accommodations is Policy 106 - Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment. The University also strongly encourages individuals to attempt to resolve issues informally, though the informal process need not be pursued prior to filing a formal grievance.