Bicycling to and from work and/or school is well suited to the University of Rochester’s spring, summer and fall climate. Biking is affordable and a healthy way to get around. Biking is not just for leisure anymore – a growing number of faculty, staff and students are choosing to commute by pedaling past the pump, and improving their health while saving on transportation.
Thank you for joining us for our 2018 bicycle seminars. Check back in early 2019 for a list of new seminars and opportunities!
There is plenty of free bicycle parking on the University and Medical Center campuses – an estimated 500+ bike rack spaces. Whether biking for recreation or commuting to work or class, Transportation and Parking Management can assist you with:
- Bike Registration
- Covered Bike Cage Rental (Medical Center campus)
- Bike Locker Rental (Medical Center campus)
- Bike Rack, Shower, and Repair Station Locations
- Bicycling on the University Campuses Map
We offer free bike racks throughout both campuses, or bicyclists can purchase a space in a Medical Center bike cage or locker. Bikes can be stored in our fully enclosed, weather-protected, padlocked bike cage located on the ground level of the hospital’s ramp garage. For a small fee, users of this swipe-access cage can also purchase a locker and shower access to URMC’s Fitness & Wellness Center, to freshen up after you arrive.
Medical Center Bike Locker – $40.00
Medical Center Bike Locker with Shower Access – $88.00
For more information on bicycling on campus or to rent a bike cage or locker, please contact the Parking Management Center
Bicycles may not be parked next to sign posts, trees, light poles or handrails. Riders that would like to take their bicycles into the building with them are welcome to do so as long as the bicycle is not ridden in the hallways and is stored in a dorm room or private office. Bicycles may not be stored in hallways, break rooms and/or public places.
Bicycle Safety and Registration Program
Bicycle registration is available to the University community free of charge. Registering your bike deters theft and aids law enforcement in their efforts to recover stolen property. Campus bike racks are regularly surveyed to identify bikes that are secured with inferior locks, may be parked illegally, appear abandoned, or are unregistered. Notices may be placed on bikes along with instructions on how to register. A U-style lock is a deterrent to theft. Our goal is to make the campus unattractive to bike thieves, not to inconvenience you, the bike owner. To register your bike click here
Keeping Your Bike Safe
- Always lock your bike with a quality U-lock.
- Place the lock through the frame, front or rear wheel, and a bike rack.
- Be sure to remove a quick-release front wheel and secure it through the U-lock as well.
- Do not leave your bike unlocked.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Be watchful of people at or around bicycle racks who appear to be “checking out” the bikes. A bike owner will normally walk directly to his or her own bike, whereas a thief will survey all the bikes, looking for an easy target. Call Public Safety at 275.3333 right away to report any suspicious activity you observe.
- Engrave your driver’s license number or State ID number on the bike frame starting with the two letter initials for the issuing state. This is recognized nationally and can help recover your bike if it is stolen (example: NY 123 456 789)
- Tips on Riding Safely
Like to Take Your Wheels on the Shuttle?
Local and State Bicycling Information
- Bicycling on the University Campuses Map
- Local Bicycling Trails/Map
- Interactive City of Rochester Bike Map
- NY Bicycling Coalition
- League of American Bicyclists
The City of Rochester is dedicated to making this a world-class bicycling community. Since the summer of 2011, 45 lane miles of on-street bicycle facilities have been installed with many more planned in the coming year. The city has also greatly expanded their off-street trails network and added a significant amount of bicycle parking around the city. Visit bikeRochester to learn more!
UR Connections Biking Bundle
- 26 Free One-Day parking passes
- Guaranteed Ride Home
- Coordination with WELL-U programs
- Cage/Locker Permit with Fee
- Free Access to all Bike Racks
For questions regarding any of our UR Connections Benefit Bundles, please contact the Parking Management Center at 585.275.4524