The Study Zone: a new format designed to help students flourish academically
About the Study Zone
The Study Zone program first opened in the spring of 2018, and it has been serving the studying needs of students ever since! This comfortable place provides students the opportunity to establish attainable goals for their studying and make real progress on their academic work during each visit. Becoming distracted, getting stuck, and being short on time are all common obstacles to success. By providing a productive, low-distraction location and personal support at the beginning and end of each visit, the Study Zone will help students get past common barriers to studying and turn academic goals into reality.
Using the Study Zone
The Study Zone offers a new form of support. When students arrive, peer leaders are there to help them make an individual plan for that study session. The Study Zone's designated quiet study space and focused environment support motivation and productivity as participants work toward their goals. At the end of each study session, peer leaders help students to notice and evaluate their progress and make a action plan to keep their momentum going even outside the Study Zone space. The Study Zone is also the perfect place to connect with additional academic resources like the Tutoring Zone and the Learning Center's Academic Success Coaching.
Be part of the Study Zone!
Enrollment is now open for the spring 2024 Study Zone cohort! When enrolling in this program, you make a commitment to spend at least three hours in the Study Zone each week. The Study Zone is free of cost for enrolled students, and students admitted to this program can spend as much time as they find productive in this space whenever it is open. Applicants will be offered a spot on a first-come, first-served basis. Any student can take part in the Study Zone program, including upper-level undergraduates and even graduate students! Fill out the online application to apply. If you have questions or would like more information, please email email@example.com.
What to expect when studying in the Study Zone
- Check in with the Study Zone leader using your netID.
- During check-in, tell the Study Zone leader your goals for the session and how long you plan to stay.
- Enter and exit the main Study Zone room through the door in the Study Zone leader office. Make sure your devices are muted before entering.
- There is a computer in the space for your use if you did not bring your own device.
- You can grab a snack or a drink to keep you energized for studying.
- At check-out, talk to the Study Zone leader about your session.
- Come back whenever you need a low-distraction place to study and friendly faces to greet you!