UR Transition is a pre-orientation program designed to support the needs of students with disabilities beginning their academic journey at Rochester. This program brings first-year students with disabilities and their families together with services to cultivate a supportive relationship and encourage self-advocacy skills, which in turn will ease the transition to university learning.
Students and parents attend workshops and tours facilitated by our access coordinators and study skills consultants, accompanied by Disability Resources student mentors.
Student workshops are aimed at:
- Building self-advocacy skills
- Exploring study skills and time management strategies based on individual strengths and approaches to learning
- Establishing classroom accommodations through Disability Resources
- Familiarizing students with resources and support for assistive technology, where applicable
- Providing geographic orientation for accessible routes to, and within, campus buildings
- Acquainting first-year students with successful Disability Resources peer mentors
Any first-year, incoming student with a documented disability who is admitted to the College is eligible to apply. Disability Resources requests that supporting documentation be on file or be submitted along with the application for acceptance in UR Transition.
Since space in this program is limited, we encourage students to apply early. Similar support will be offered during the semester to students unable to attend.
Students attending UR Transition will be able to move into residence halls two days before regular orientation. Students and families will meet Disability Resources staff and UR Transition peer mentors for an informal meet-and-greet activity on the evening of move-in day. UR Transition workshops will take place a full day before regular student orientation.
Tentative 2018 Schedule:
- Sunday, August 19: UR Transition Mentor Training
- Monday, August 20: Move-In Day and Evening Meet-and-Greet Activities
- Tuesday, August 21: UR Transition Pre-Orientation Program
- Wednesday, August 22: Join UR First-Year Orientation
UR Transition is administratively housed within the Office of Disability Resources, Taylor Hall, and programming occurs on the River Campus. See campus map.
UR Transition is generously co-sponsored by The College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering, Orientation, University Health Services & Counseling Center, Office of Admissions, and Office of Residential Life and Housing Services. There is no cost to attend the UR Transition workshops or to move into residence halls early.
Hotel costs for parents will be at the families’ expense. Area hotels can be found on the Orientation website.
Monday evening programming attendance is required for Tuesday program participation.
Applications can also be submitted by fax to (585) 276-2805 or by mail to:
The Office of Disability Resources
Attn: UR Transition Pre-Orientation Program
University of Rochester
P.O. Box 270195
Rochester, NY 14627
If you have any questions about UR Transition or your readiness for college life, contact Elizabeth Carpenter at email@example.com.