Frequently Asked Questions

Jump to a question about:

General Information

Is there a calendar available for specific semester dates?

Yes, see the academic calendar page on the Registrar website.

How do I get to Rochester?

See the River Campus visitor’s page for information about getting to campus and where to park.

There is a family emergency and I need to contact my student as soon as possible, but they are in class. How can they be reached?

When a student must be contacted in the case of a family emergency, contact the Office of the Dean of Students.

Where can I get my questions answered concerning my student's tuition bill?

Contact the Bursar’s Office for questions concerning a student's tuition, refunds.

How can I add funds to my student’s URos or declining account?

You can add Declining balance and URos online by using You can find instructions for how to do this on the dining FAQ page.

How do I send mail and packages to my student?

All mail and packages addressed to students on campus should follow this format:

Student Name
University of Rochester
500 Joseph C. Wilson Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14627

Top ↑


When are final exams?

See the Registrar's calendar page for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

What services are provided for students who are having academic difficulty?

Students struggle academically for a variety of reasons. The best single place for help with an academic concern is the College Center for Advising Services. If help they can't help then they can refer students to the most appropriate source.

The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) can also provide particular help for students who need to improve their time management skills, and offers study groups, workshops and tutoring.

Students with learning or other disabilities will find special help at the Office of Disability Resources.

Health issues, both physical and emotional, can also play a significant role. See the University Health Service and University Counseling Center (UCC).

What is the Take Five Scholars program?

The Take Five Scholars program permits selected students to spend a ninth semester or a full fifth year at the University at no additional tuition charge.

How can I learn about the study abroad program?

The College provides students with a diverse array of opportunities to study abroad over the summer and during the academic year. Please visit the Center for Education Abroad’ s website for complete information in the "common questions" section.

The grade report sent to my student contained a grade of "I" (or "N"). What does this mean?

The grades of "I" or "N" are submitted when an instructor is unable, for some reason, to submit a final grade for a student. In this case, they should contact the instructor directly to discuss the matter.

How can my student find out their remaining requirements needed for graduation?

Students are sent a series of degree audits throughout their senior year. Students can make an appointment with an advisor in the College Center for Advising Services to review their requirements at any time during their four years.

Top ↑

Campus Services

What services are available to students with disabilities?

The Office of Disability Resources helps support students with disabilities.

Where do students purchase their course books and school supplies?

Students purchase their books and supplies at the Barnes and Noble bookstore in College Town.

What banking services are on campus?

There are several full-service banks and ATMs on campus. See the banking and ATM services page for a complete list.

What health services are available to my student?

Full-time students participate in the comprehensive, prepaid Student Health Program by paying the mandatory health fee and having health insurance.

What types of clubs and activities are available to my student?

The University of Rochester offers over 200 student organizations including club sports, cultural organizations, and more. They are a great place to develop relationships, sharpen leadership skills, and help make this campus the kind of place that students want to call home.

Top ↑


When is commencement?

Visit the Commencement page for detailed information.

Where can my student order graduation announcements?

Visit the Balfour page for the University of Rochester.

Top ↑


How does my student acquire an email account at the University?

University Information Technology (University IT) provides a number of services to students, with one of them being email. Email accounts for all undergraduates of the College are activated and distributed prior to orientation and remain active until graduation.

Where can my student go for computer support?

Students can visit the University IT website, email at, or stop by the University IT Center. The University IT Center is an integrated help desk that is available to assist students.

Should students bring a computer to campus with them?

Students are welcome to bring computers with them to campus. The residential halls are wired with ResNet, or Residential Networking, which allows students to access the internet directly from the computers in their rooms. There are also computer terminals available around campus for access to email and the internet if the student does not bring a computer to campus.

Where can students buy computers, software, and computer supplies; or get computer equipment repairs on campus?

UR Tech Store provides for the sale, repair coordination, and distribution of personal computers and related information technologies to the University community. Our mission is to provide acquisition and repair services for recommended technologies to students, faculty, staff, and departments. Students also receive warranty and out-of-warranty service for computer products and installation of computer accessories at the store throughout the year.

Top ↑

Emergency Planning

How has the University planned for any national or other emergencies that might arise?

Any residential campus community maintains a set of "emergency response" plans covering a variety of situations; these plans are constantly reviewed and tested. Our emergency procedures are outlined on the emergency information page.

Top ↑

Financial Aid

What is included in "financial aid?"

Financial aid includes funds received by students from a variety of sources (institutional, federal, state, and/or private) to help pay for educational expenses. Scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs are all considered financial aid.

For more information, including deadlines and contact information, visit the financial aid website.

Top ↑


Where can I find information about orientation?

You can find answers to your questions (schedules, lodging, etc.) at the orientation website.

Top ↑

Registration Concerns

How can I contact the University Registrar?

The Office of the Registrar can be reached by phone at (585) 275-8131 or fax at (585) 275-2190. You can email them at

Who will advise my student with course selection and registration?

Normally, students consult with their faculty adviser, and are also free to see advisers in the College Center for Advising Services. The professional advisers are available by phone at (585) 275-2354, by email at, and in person. Walk-in hours are held every day in Lattimore 312, and students may also make appointments to see advisers.

How do I obtain enrollment verification for my student for health insurance reasons?

You may call the Office of the University Registrar, at (585) 275-8131, fax a signed request to (585) 275-2190, or write to Office of University Registrar, University of Rochester, 127 Lattimore Hall, Rochester, NY, 14627.

Is my student registered for this term?

Students can view their course schedules on student ACCESS, also known as blackboard, after early registration periods in November and April, prior to the start of each semester and after the drop/add period. If you are unsure about your son or daughter's registration, you can contact the Office of University Registrar.

My student is currently studying abroad. How will they register for next semester?

Students can still access the online course schedules and descriptions to select your classes and sign on to the web registration system using their NetID and password, or University ID and PIN.

If your student has any problems or questions they should contact the Office of University Registrar.

Top ↑

Residential Life

What should my student bring to campus?

View this Office of Residential Life & Housing Services webpage for a packing list.

As we prepare for move-in, what should my student/family know about on campus residential rooms?

Check out this document, All About My Room, for information about rooms and helpful tips.

Are there certain items that are not allowed in the residence halls?

Learn more about what not to bring to campus.

Top ↑

Study Abroad

What should parents know about study abroad?

The staff of the Center for Education Abroad is available to answer your questions. You can also review these guides:

Top ↑


How does my student request a transcript?

Transcripts should be requested from the Registrar's Office. You can visit the transcript page for detailed information.

My student took a summer course at a local college. Where should the transcript be sent?

Official transcripts from other colleges and universities can be sent to the College Center for Advising Services at 312 Lattimore Hall, Rochester, NY, 14627.

What is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, is a federal law that requires that a student is informed of the existence and location of their educational records. The law defines the purpose for which the records, and assures a student access to, disclosure of and challenge to the record when warranted. It also assures appropriate disposition of the record when compelling reasons for its retention no longer exist.

Top ↑

Tuition Payments

Where can I find information about payment options, tuition due dates, etc.?

Visit the Office of the Bursar website.

3rd Party Payment—Payments made by a third party (parent, guardian, etc.) will use the Third Party Login for online payment access. Your student must set this feature in UR Student prior to use. UR Student allows students to authorize friends, family, or other third party to access the system. Learn more about third-party access in UR Student.

See the Add a Third Party Delegate (pdf) for step-by-step instructions.

Top ↑