In compliance with state and federal regulations, gambling is illegal and not permitted at the University of Rochester or among its student organizations. The following guidelines ensure compliance with these regulations:
- Monetary prizes cannot be awarded as the result of participating in a non-raffle event or activity.
- Students or organizations can charge a one-time entry fee to an event, but additional fees or charges cannot be included as part of an event.
- Students or organizations cannot bet on, wager on, or sell pools for any athletic event.
- Neither the University nor an organization sponsoring a poker tournament, casino night, or similar event can receive proceeds from that event.
- A student organization charging an entry fee for a poker tournament, casino night, or similar event can only hold one such event per semester. These events cannot be held where alcohol is served.
- We can have game nights- not poker nights but can play cards
- No money can change hands.
- No alcohol can be involved.
- Organizations can have chips and small prizes for winner(s) but no money can change hands and there should be no monetary benefit for the group running the program.
- No advertising to the public.
- Bingo events can occur as long as there is no entry fee to play to win
- Students or organizations cannot charge for Bingo boards