Skip to main content

Incoming First-Year Students

Housing Resources and FAQs

Incoming freshmen will receive all their housing materials in an email directly to them the summer before arriving on campus. Move-in information as well as dates and times are included in this email. Students should review the following:

Housing Assignment

Your housing assignment will include your building name and room number, roommate name (find their email address through the University directory), plus general first-year residence hall information.

Use the first-year room change request form to request a room change. The room change request form provides an opportunity to indicate preferences and special requests. The directions and process for each semester is spelled out on the room change request form. Read it carefully and be sure you understand the steps and return the form via email (as a .PDF) to the address on the form. We will do our best to offer you a change that meets your request. Students have 48 hours to decide to accept or decline the new assignment. Failure to decide within the specified time limit will result in the offer being withdrawn. Room changes are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the school year and through the summer (for returning students), as vacancies become available. First-year students are able to request a room change once classes begin in the fall semester.

Housing and Meal Plan Research Tool

Use the housing and meal plan research tool to explore how meal plans, housing choices, and financial aid status affect each other.

Residence Hall Rules

Students should review the residence hall rules for information about the University’s policies on:

  • Pets
  • Alcohol and illegal drugs
  • Weapons, fireworks, and other potentially hazardous items
  • Fire code regulations
  • Behaviors that constitutes a perceived or actual danger or threat to persons or property
  • Damaged, stolen, or lost residence hall property

Important Information for Incoming Students

Residential Life and Fire Safety Guidelines/Checklist

Packing 101

Understanding Lamps

What Not to Bring

Personal Property Insurance (Renters Insurance)

Students’ personal property brought to the University is not covered for damage or loss by the University’s insurance. We strongly suggest you review your parents’ homeowner’s insurance to determine what is covered by that policy or can be covered with a rider to that policy. Specifically review the information about theft of property because many policies only cover damage, not loss.

We recommend you review the college student property insurance options from National Student Services, Inc. and obtain coverage in case your property is damaged or lost. Start by getting a personal property insurance quote.

Microfridge Information and Rental

The University of Rochester uses Refrigerator Leasing Company, Inc. for microfridge rentals. Use the service's online form to rent a microfridge. View the microfridge rental page for more information.

Housing Services

Students have access to a variety of services while on campus including:

  • Facilities
  • Computer (ResNet) services
  • Television (UR CTV)
  • Phone (ResNet) services
  • Linens
  • Study lamps
  • Laundry
  • Mail
  • Luggage and freight
  • Storage
  • Service desks
  • Cooking
  • Dining plans

See the housing services page for more information.

Hall Council

Hall Council is a student-led organization at the University of Rochester. Each council is dedicated to enhancing the community and the residents living learning experience.

Each council works to build community through intentional programming efforts. They also act as an advocate on behalf of the hall to improve the living conditions in their community. Finally, each council actively recognizes the residents in their hall who participate and contribute to the success of the community.

Visit the Hall Council page to learn more. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Our frequently asked questions page can help answer questions about:

  • Moving in, academic breaks, and hall closings
  • Roommates, housing assignments, and room changes
  • Rooms, halls, furniture, and appliances
  • Visitors
  • About the Office of Residential Life

Didn’t find what you’re looking for? Email us at