Skip to content

Alcohol & Other Drugs

Campus Partnerships

College life comes with many opportunities to explore new experiences. For some students, choosing to drink alcohol or experiment with other substances may be part of this process. The UHS Health Promotion Office works closely with the Assistant Director of Alcohol and Other Drug Education to educate and support students about alcohol and other drugs.

Our involvement includes:

Tobacco Cessation

Whether you use tobacco every day, or just once in a while, the best way to protect your health is to stop completely. The University Health Service (UHS) understands that quitting tobacco is not easy. Although it may be a personal challenge for many, UHS is prepared to provide you with the appropriate support and services that you need to succeed.

UHS, in partnership with the Healthy Living Center, offers tobacco dependence counseling through the secure video conferencing app ZOOM. From the privacy and convenience of your phone or computer, you can work with a tobacco dependence counselor to get the trusted tools and support you need to stop smoking. These visits are free as part of the mandatory health fee.

Not sure you want to quit? We can still work with you to develop a timeline, discuss your options, or talk about ways to reduce your use and start caring for your health right now. To get started, contact the Healthy Living Center at (585) 530-2050 or by email.

You may also always talk to your primary care provider for support throughout the quitting process. UHS offers nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) through its dispensary. Medications are also available to help reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms. To schedule an appointment with your UHS primary care provider, call UHS at (585) 275-2662.

Other Resources

NYS Smokers’ Quitline

  • 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487)
  • Tobacco free coaching & free nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)

NY Smoke Free

  • Information and tools to quit smoking
  • Two weeks of free nicotine gum or patches (most NY state residents)

National Quitline

  • 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) — automatic transfer to your own state quit line
Return to the top of the page