Skip to content
Row of pride flags flying

LGBTQ+ Health

We recognize health needs vary among every individual.

Check out some resources for LGBTQ+ students below. Download our Queer Health Resource Guide to access this information in a printable/downloadable format. You can also download an accessible Word document format of the guide.

Where can I see a medical provider that cares?

On Campus: 

Off Campus: 

  • Gender Health Services–University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC) — Services for young adults who identify as transgender, gender fluid, or have other questions or concerns about their gender.

  • Trillium Health — a community of mental health and social services, providing compassionate care to the LGBTQ+ community. Some of the services offered at Trillium include:

    • sexual health maintenance
    • hormone therapy
    • sensitive primary care
    • STI screening and treatment
    • rapid HIV testing and HIV prevention
  • Planned Parenthood — Sexual and reproductive health organization that offers LGBTQ+ services, including education, resources, and services referral. 

Mental Healthcare

The University Counseling Center (UCC) provides a comprehensive initial assessment and an individualized treatment plan to full-time members of the University of Rochester community who pay the mandatory health fee. Based on the initial assessment, a treatment plan is developed by the clinician that addresses the client’s unique needs and concerns. This plan may include recommendations such as but not limited to group therapy, brief therapy, referrals to community providers for specialized treatment or longer-term therapy services, case management services, psychiatry, or other campus services.

  • LGBTQIA+ therapy group at UCC – check the website for times each semester.
  • Support Groups on campus
    • Pride Network
    • Transgender, Intersex, Non-Binary, and Two-Spirit (TINT)
    • Anything But Cis (ABC)
    • Queer Students of Color (QSOC)
    • Check out the Paul J. Burgett Intercultural Instagram (@ur_bic) for upcoming programs and support groups, or stop in on the 3rd floor of Douglass Commons.

In the Local Community:

  • Find a therapist in the community using ThrivingCampus
    • UCC has partnered with ThrivingCampus to make it easier for students to learn more about community mental health providers and access treatment off-campus and in many other states. ThrivingCampus is an online directory that allows University of Rochester students to access a list of off-campus, licensed mental health clinicians.
    • On ThrivingCampus, you can filter by providers that focus on gender identity, sexual orientation, and many other topic areas. You can also filter providers by their own sexual orientation and gender.
  • Trillium Health Support Groups

National Resources:

Resources for Family and Friends

URMC Gender Health fact sheets and resources for family and friends

  • Resources to help family members and friends be a successful part of your support system

Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbian and Gays (PFLAG)

  • PFLAG promotes the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends. They have a variety of helpful and informative handouts.

Gender Equity Resource Center – UC Berkeley

  • Ways to be an active ally

Coming Out

It is your choice when, if, and how you would like to come out to someone. Your safety is always #1 priority.

Human Rights Campaign Coming Out Resources

  • Here you will find information about living authentically and some tips and information about coming out in different areas of your life, such as:
    • in the workplace
    • in your religion / faith
    • at a doctor’s appointment
    • to your grandparent’s or other adult family members

Need a name change?

If you are an LGBTQ+ student who needs a name change to be printed on your student ID, the Burgett Intercultural Center can help! Email Col Raimond, Director of LGBTQ life, to learn more about the process. The Burgett Intercultural Center can cover the costs for any LGBTQ+ students who need to update their student ID cards for this purpose.

To change your name in your records at UHS, you can call the front desk at (585) 275-2662 and let them know that you would like to make the change, and they will gladly make this update to your records.

All-Gender Restrooms

Words of support from your peers…

Having a tough time? Your peers are here to support you! 

“Every time someone finds the strength to be honest about who they are, the worlds gets a little brighter. We stand with you.”

“Love yourself and do whatever feels right for you.”

“You truth will be heard. You will be loved! You will love. You will be you.”

Upcoming Programs

Progress pride flag hanging on a building

LGBTQ+ Resource Fair

Monday, February 5th from 3:00-4:30pm
Feldman Ballroom

Our LGBTQ+ Resource Fair gives you the chance to learn about lots of on and off campus resources for LGBTQ+ students, take home some fun giveaways and enter a raffle! This year, enter to win a portable JBL speaker! Groups will include CARE, UHS, Trillium Health, Title IX, the Burgett Intercultural Center, and more.

Return to the top of the page