Skip to content

Nutrition Services

The University Health Service (UHS) offers nutrition services for student patients. These services are offered by a registered dietitian. Your UHS primary care provider may refer you to the dietitian, or you may choose to schedule an appointment on your own. We recommend checking your insurance coverage before receiving services.

Scheduling an Appointment: Call UHS at 585-275-2662.

The UHS Dietitian sees patients by appointment in the UHS office on the first floor of the UHS Building on the River Campus. We recommend scheduling an appointment with your UHS primary care provider (PCP) prior to scheduling an appointment with the UHS Dietitian. Your primary care provider can write a referral, if your insurance plan requires a written referral.

Insurance Coverage

The method of payment will depend on your health insurance coverage. The mandatory health fee paid by full-time students does not cover visits with the UHS Dietitian; however, the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) does provide coverage. (See below.)

UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna)

  • You need a referral for visits to the UHS Dietitian to be covered by the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna). You can obtain a referral by scheduling an appointment with your UHS primary care provider (PCP). Call 585-275-2662 to schedule an appointment.
  • You will be charged a $25 specialist copayment for each visit with the UHS Dietitian. The copayment can be paid by credit card, check, or charged to your tuition billing statement. The remainder of the cost is covered by the insurance plan.

Other Insurance Plans

You should check with your insurance company about coverage before receiving nutrition services at UHS. Your insurance plan may require a referral, limit the coverage, restrict the number of visits covered, or exclude nutrition services from coverage. If your plan does not cover nutrition services, you will be  responsible for paying for the services you receive.

When you call your insurance company, we recommend asking the following questions:

  1. Are nutrition services (i.e., visits with a dietitian) covered?
  2. Are nutrition services covered “out of area”? This question is especially important if you are not from the Rochester area.
  3. Is a referral required? If yes, can the referral be from your UHS primary care provider or must the referral be from your primary care provider at home?

If UHS cannot bill directly to your insurance company, you will need to pay the bill. A statement showing nutrition services received at UHS can be given to you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement. You can then submit a claim to your company. If nutrition services are covered by your plan, the reimbursement will be paid directly to you.

If visits with the UHS Dietitian are not covered by your insurance plan, you will be responsible for payment. If you are a full-time student, the charge can be sent to your tuition billing statement.

For Questions About Billing & Insurance

Students who need assistance or a referral can contact the UHS Insurance Advisor at or 585-275-2637.

All other UHS patients can contact the UHS Billing Manager at or 585-275-2638.

Return to the top of the page