Skip to main content



We know that the impacts of COVID-19 have changed the way you learn and study, and we are pleased to announce that we have some new resources to support you during the fall and spring semesters. These resources are available at no cost to you and can be used for in-person or remote classes, studying, and online exams.

See below for what’s available, and contact us to let us know what you’re interested in using or let us know if you have any questions about these resources. Some of these resources (i.e. software licenses) can be provided for an extended period of time, and others will be provided on a first-come, first-serve basis for short-term rentals.

We've also included below some on-campus and external resources you may find helpful.

Assistive Technology Resources

Classroom Resources

Glean Note Taking Software

  • A new, web-based audio note taking solution that allows you to access class recordings and notes from any device. Glean allows you to record audio during in-person or online classes and link your notes with specific moments in the lecture.
  • Watch this brief video to learn more
  • How to use Glean with online class 
  • Available as app or web-based
  • For use in-person or online 

Sonocent Audio NoteTaker Software

  • Like Glean, Sonocent Audio NoteTaker is note taking software that allows you to record lecture and link your notes with specific moments in the lecture. It has some additional features that allow you to highlight key information, export sections of the audio, adjust the playback speed, and more.
  • Available as desktop software or companion app
  • Watch this brief video to learn more Software

  • Live transcription using artificial intelligence. It’s free to set up an account (600 minutes/month of transcription), but we have a limited number of premium accounts available which allow for up to 6000 minutes/month of transcription.
  • You can add terminology from your courses for more accurate transcription.
  • You can also upload previously recorded audio and video files for transcription.
  • Video on using online 
  • Video on using app 
  • Available as app or web-based
  • For use in person or online

Livescribe SmartPens & Notebooks

  • Livescribe SmartPens record everything you hear, say, and write, while linking your audio recordings to your notes.
  • You can replay the audio recordings right from your Smart Notebook by tapping anywhere in your notes with the SmartPen, or upload the notes to your computer and replay the audio by clicking anywhere in the notes with your mouse.
  • View a brief demo 
  • Learn more about Livescribe 

Reading & Writing Resources

Read & Write Software

  • Allows you to have electronic texts read aloud, converts documents to Mp3 formats, and offers tools to support writing.
  • Tools include text to speech, highlighters to help collect your thoughts and take notes, word prediction, advanced spelling grammar check
  • Learn more about Read & Write 

Dragon Dictation Software

  • Transcription software that allows you to dictate papers, exams, or other written materials quickly and accurately.
  • Deep Learning tech adapts to your voice and controls for environmental variations
  • Only available on PCs
  • Learn more about Dragon 

Math Resources

EquatIO Software

Testing/Studying Resources

Noise Cancelling Headphones

  • Noise cancelling headphones are available for short term loan for exams or completing academic work.

Other Resources

  • Sensus Access is a free tool that allows members of the University community to convert inaccessible course materials into more accessible formats. For example, you could convert a PDF file into a text file, audio file, or e-book format.
  • There are many other software programs available to you through Classroom Technology. View the updated software list for campus computers
  • Ear plugs
  • Fidget toys
On-Campus Resources

Gwen M. Greene Center for Career Education and Connections advisors are available to assist students in achieving their individual career goals. Visit their website or contact their office for resources on workplace accommodations and a list of employers seeking people with disabilities for various positions.

Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL)—Supporting undergraduate students with services that promote academic success, including course-specific collaborative workshops and study groups, study skills consultants and study skills course, and tutoring.

University Counseling Center (UCC)—Individual and group therapy provided by licensed professionals are available under the student health fee at UCC. Support groups are also offered. Transition-specific resources for parents and friends are found on the UCC’s parent’s page.

University Health Service (UHS)The University Health Service (UHS) provides a full range of confidential, high quality primary care services for full-time students. The UHS clinical staff includes registered nurses, nurse practitioners, and physicians, all of whom have a special interest in the care and treatment of students and other members of the college community. 

College Center for Advising Services (CCAS)—CCAS advisors can offer guidance on any academic-related concern or question to clarify program requirements.

Writing, Speaking and Argument Program (WSAP)—WSAP helps students with writing and speaking assignments, including foundational planning, formulating persuasive arguments, and making strong conclusions.

Parent and Family Relations—Housed in the Office of the Dean of Students, parent and family relations staff serve as a resource for families during your student's undergraduate years.

River Campus Libraries—Learn how to use our vast library resources and consult with expert research librarians.

Rush Rhees Library Study Spaces—The library offers a variety of study space that can be the perfect change of venue to improve focus.

CARE Network—The CARE network, one component of the Center for Student Conflict Management, effectively connects students in distress with appropriate campus resources. The CARE network relies on students, staff, faculty, and parents to submit CARE reports when they are significantly concerned about the well-being of a University student.

Veterans Alliance at the University of Rochester—The Veterans Alliance provides military students, staff, faculty, alumni and their families with the resources, support, and advocacy needed to succeed in higher education.

External Resources


Conner, David J. (2012). Helping Students With Disabilities Transition to College: 21 Tips for Students With LD and/or ADD/ADHD. Teaching Exceptional Children, 44(5), 16-25.

Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education’s publications:

Shaw, S.F., Madaus, J.W. & Dukes, L.L., III (Eds.). (2010). Preparing Students with Disabilities for College Success: A Practical Guide for TransitionPlanning. Baltimore, MD: Brookes.


Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (ABVI) provides orientation and adaptive technology consultations for students who are blind or who have low vision.

Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) is a national organization for professionals serving students with disabilities at the post-secondary level. Students and parents can also find links to resources and explore further the topics surrounding disability issues in higher education.

Attention Deficit Disorder Association (ADDA) has compiled a list of recommended accommodations and transition resources in print to support students with ADHD.

The Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) offers their handbook, Navigating College, written by adults on the autism spectrum to guide transitioning college students.

Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD) offers articles related to transition for students and their parents to aid in the transition from high school.

DO-IT: University of Washington is a comprehensive clearinghouse of information, tip sheets and resources for students with disabilities, their parents and higher education faculty and staff.

Heath Resource Center at the National Youth Transitions Center serves as a portal to publications and modules to inform parents and students for post-secondary education. An essential toolkit aimed at guidance and career counselors, but also of use to students and families, is available by download.

LD Online offers a wealth of resources. Links abound within LD Online's College and College Prep web pages.

Mobility International USA—features strategies and stories on how people with disabilities participate in international exchange programs.

National Center for Learning Disabilities maintains a compilation of articles and podcasts that help students and families plan for post-secondary transition.

Organization for Autism Research offers a publication for parents: A Guide For Transition to Adulthood.

National Deaf Center on Postsecondary Outcomes is a website aimed toward supporting deaf and hard-of-hearing students in higher education. iTransition is a curriculum for students 14 and up to explore college and create a portfolio of information to aid in their college search.

Tips for students with disabilities—Ten tips for college students with disabilities.

Veterans Outreach Center assists our veteran students in transition to 2-year or 4-year colleges enrolling under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.