Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Tools Search Main Menu
UHS Site Menu

University Health Service

Health Insurance for Graduating Students

Graduating students are encouraged to check their health insurance status at least 60 days in advance of graduation to assure continuing coverage and access to health care following graduation.

  • The mandatory health fee continues through the end of the final semester/term (July 31 for students graduating in the spring and January 31 for students graduating in the fall). The end date for Simon School students is July 31 for students graduating in the spring/summer and December 31 for students graduating at the end of the fall quarter.
  • Students enrolled in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) graduating in spring are covered through July 31 (January 31 for students graduating in the fall; December 31 for Simon fall graduates.)
  • For information about coverage options after graduation, check below. If you have questions, you can write to the UHS Insurance Advisor at for assistance.

Health Insurance

  • Students enrolled in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna). Once an eligible full time student enrolls in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna), coverage continues through the end of the semester/term in which they cease to be a full time registered student. For students graduating in May or June, coverage ends on July 31. For students graduating in the fall, the end date is January 31 (December 31 for Simon School students).  Student dependent coverage ends the same time that student coverage ends.
  • Students covered on their parent’s insurance plan. We recommend checking with your insurance company to determine if you can continue on the plan after graduation. Many young adults can remain on their parent’s health insurance plan until their 26th birthday if the policy covers dependent children.
  • Students seeking additional insurance options. We recommend doing an internet search based upon where you will be living. If you have a US Social Security number and have paid taxes in any state, you may be eligible for insurance through the new US Affordable Care Act Insurance Exchange in that state. For those in New York, go to For those from other states, do an internet search for the corresponding website or use International graduates continuing in special University-sponsored programs (like OPT) in the United States should check with the International Services Office for information about HTH Worldwide.