University Health Service
Physical Therapy Services
The University Health Service (UHS) offers physical therapy services for our student patients. The goal of physical therapy is to preserve, restore, or enhance physical function that is impaired by injury, disease, or disability. Some typical conditions treated by a physical therapist include, but are not limited to, overuse syndrome, tendonitis, muscle strains and sprains, joint dysfunctions, headaches, jaw problems, and persistent pain.
A physical therapist will perform an evaluation to determine the factors that are contributing to your problem or limiting your function and recommend treatment strategies to address these findings. Treatments will be guided by your goals and may include therapeutic exercise, postural and biomechanical corrections, manual therapy for joints or soft tissue, modalities (ultrasound, electrotherapy, etc.), patient education or training, and more as determined by patient need.
Scheduling an Appointment – Call UHS at 585-275-2662.
Some insurance plans require an authorization and/or referral written by a primary care provider (PCP) for physical therapy. If you need to discuss receiving physical therapy services, please schedule an appointment to speak with your UHS primary care provider. Your UHS primary care provider can write a referral, if your insurance plan requires a written referral.
Physical Therapy Locations
Call UHS at 585-275-2662 to schedule an appointment at either location:
- UHS Building (on the River Campus – Check in with the receptionist on the first floor.
- Eastman School of Music – Room B-06
The method of payment will depend on your health insurance coverage. The mandatory health fee paid by full-time students does not cover visits to the physical therapist; however, the UR Student Health Insurance Plan does provide coverage.
UR Student Health insurance Plan (Aetna):
- The UR Student Health insurance Plan (Aetna) covers physical therapy with a $10 co-pay per visit. A referral from UHS is not required.
- The University Health Service will bill the UR Student Health insurance Plan (Aetna) directly for you.
For all patients covered by another insurance plan:
- Check with your insurance company about coverage before receiving physical therapy services. Your insurance plan may require a referral, restrict the number of visits covered, or exclude physical therapy from coverage. Your plan may require an authorization or referral from your provider at home.
- Questions to ask your insurance company include:
- Is physical therapy covered by your plan?
- Does your plan require prior authorization?
- Is physical therapy covered “out of area” (i.e., in Rochester)? This question is especially important if you are not from the Rochester area.
- Is a referral required? If yes, does the referral need to be from your primary care provider at home or can it be from your UHS primary care provider?
- If your plan does not cover physical therapy, you are responsible for paying for the services if you decide to see the UHS physical therapist. If you are a full-time student, the charge will be sent to your tuition billing statement.
- If UHS cannot bill directly to your insurance company, you will need to pay the bill. A statement showing physical therapy services received at UHS can be given to you to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement. If physical therapy services are covered by your plan, the reimbursement will be paid directly to you.
- If physical therapy is not covered by your insurance plan or covered partially, you are responsible for payment. If you are a full-time student, the charge will be sent to your tuition billing statement.
Billing & Insurance Questions
- If you need assistance for an authorization or a referral, you can contact a UHS Student Insurance Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.