All full-time students participate in the Student Health Program, which provides care and services offered by the University Health Service and the University Counseling Center. The Student Health Program consists of two components: the Mandatory Health Fee and the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna).
Mandatory Health Fee
The mandatory health fee assures the availability of accessible, high quality health care services on campus for all full-time University of Rochester students. All full-time students pay the mandatory health fee, which covers care and services provided by the University Health Service (UHS) and the University Counseling Center (UCC) at their offices.
The mandatory health fee for the 2021-2022 academic year is $708. The charge for the mandatory health fee appears on your tuition billing statement.
Services Covered by the Mandatory Health Fee
- Primary care visits with physicians, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses at the University Health Service (UHS).
- Full range of primary care services provided by the University Health Service (i.e., care and treatment for illnesses and injuries, evaluation and treatment of medical conditions, management of on-going medical problems, women’s health care, allergy injections, immunizations, and the care and advice for any health concern. See Services for Full-time Students more information about services offered.
- Visits with UHS psychiatrists for assessment and medication management (with a referral from a UHS primary care provider or a UCC therapist)
- A comprehensive initial assessment, an individualized treatment plan, and support to put such a plan into action provided by the University Counseling Center (UCC) on an individual, couples, or group basis
- UHS physician and UCC mental health professional on call 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
- Health education and health promotion services provided by the UHS Health Promotion Office
- Public health and disease prevention programs
In addition to the mandatory health fee, all full-time students must have health insurance coverage for services such as visits to specialists, hospitalization, surgical procedures, diagnostic laboratory tests, x-rays, athletic injuries, flu shots, immunizations, physical therapy, and prescription medications. These services are not covered by the mandatory health fee.
You can enroll in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna), or you can waive the health insurance if your own insurance plan meets University insurance criteria. The UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) provides coverage for visits to specialists, hospitalization, surgical procedures, diagnostic laboratory tests and x-rays, athletic injuries, immunizations, and prescription medications. Check “View Plan Details” for a list of benefits and a list of exclusions. There are no deductibles with this plan.
The cost for the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) is $2,940 for students for 2021-2022. For the cost of health insurance for spouses and dependent children, check Health Insurance for Families.
Every year you must complete the Online Health Insurance Process to enroll or waive. Requests to waive the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) may be audited to assure compliance with University insurance criteria. If you choose to remain on your own health insurance, you are financially responsible for expenses not covered by your insurance plan.
See Health Insurance for Full-time Students for more information about health insurance and the Online Health Insurance Process.