University Health Service
Health Insurance for Families
If your spouse and children will be with you in Rochester, we recommend that you purchase health insurance for them to help cover the cost of your family’s health care needs while you are a student. Health insurance generally covers the cost of services such as hospitalization, surgery, and diagnostic laboratory tests and x-rays. The amount of coverage will depend on the insurance plan you choose. Health insurance will not cover all of your family’s health care needs. You are responsible for paying for costs not covered by your insurance plan.
Insurance Options for Families
- If you have a spouse/domestic partner and no children: Your spouse or domestic partner can enroll in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan for full-time students as long as you are registered full-time and are enrolled in the plan. The cost for health insurance for your spouse is $2,292 for the 2017-18 year. Your spouse must also pay the mandatory health fee, which is $600. The charge for the mandatory health fee will be billed to your tuition billing statement. The charge for the health insurance premium for your spouse is paid when you enroll them on the plan.
- If you have a dependent child or children under age 26: If you are enrolled in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna), you can enroll your dependent child(ren) in the plan. The cost for health insurance for dependent children is $2,292 for one child or $4,584 for two or more children. The mandatory health fee is not charged for dependent children since UHS does not provide services for children under age 16. If your child is 16 or over, please speak with the UHS Insurance Advisor about the mandatory health fee. The charge for the health insurance premium for dependent children is paid when you complete their enrollment.
Affordable Care Act Insurance Exchange
Students with a U.S. Social Security number and history of paying taxes in their state of residence may be eligible for insurance through the US Affordable Care Act Insurance Exchange in that state. For those in New York, go to nystateofhealth.ny.gov. For those from other states, do an internet search for the corresponding website or use www.health.gov. Students, regardless of place of residence, who are parents of newborns should also check the insurance exchange websites for coverage options for their children. International graduates continuing in special University-sponsored programs (like OPT) in the United States should check with the International Services Office (ISO) for information about HTH Worldwide.
The Online Insurance Process
Each year every full-time student, whether new or returning, must complete the Online Insurance Process during Fall Open Enrollment (June 1-September 15) to select their insurance coverage for the year. More about health insurance for full-time students
|2017-2018 Health Fees
(August 1, 2017- July 31, 2018)
|One Child||2 or More Children|
|UR Student Health
|Mandatory Health Fee||$600||$600||N/A**||N/A**|
|* A domestic partner is a person living with the student as a domestic partner with whom the student cannot legally marry, e.g., partner of the same sex. Check Insurance for Domestic Partners on this web site for eligibility guidelines for domestic partners.
** The option to pay the mandatory health fee and receive services at UHS and UCC is not available for children under age 16.
|Add $2,892 if spouse will also enroll in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan|
- $5,784 Student + spouse/domestic partner (no children)
- $8,076 Student + spouse/domestic partner + 1 child
- $10,368 Student + spouse/domestic partner + 2 or more children
- $5,184 Student + one child
- $7,476 Student + two or more children
Contact the UHS Insurance Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the UR Student Health Insurance Plan.