University Health Service
Health Insurance for Full-Time Students
About the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna)
All full-time students participate in the Student Health Program, which includes the mandatory health fee and health insurance. The mandatory health fee covers visits with health care providers at the University Health Service (UHS) and the University Counseling Center (UCC). The mandatory health fee for the 2020-2021 year is $660.
In addition to the mandatory health fee, students must have health insurance to cover services such as diagnostic laboratory tests and x-rays, visits with specialists, surgery, hospitalization, and prescription medication. The University Health Service offers the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna). Check “View Plan Details” for a list of benefits and a list of exclusions. There are no deductibles with this plan. The cost for the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) is $2,676 for 2020-2021.
Students are required to either enroll in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) or waive this plan if their health insurance plan meets University Insurance Criteria. All full-time students must complete the Online Health Insurance Process every year to make the insurance selection. Requests to waive the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) may be audited to verify coverage. If the student’s plan does not meet the requirements, the student will be automatically enrolled in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna). International-based insurance plans often do not meet University criteria. See “Insurance with an International-based Company” below for more information.
If you have questions about health insurance, you can write to the UHS Insurance Advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completing the Online Health Insurance Process
Every year all full-time students, whether new or returning, must document their health insurance coverage by completing the Online Health Insurance Process during the appropriate open enrollment period. Students who enroll in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) are enrolled on the plan from August 1 through July 31 (January 31 if graduating in December). Students enrolling in UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) may enroll eligible dependents. The same deadlines apply.
If you have questions about health insurance, please write to the UHS Insurance Advisor at email@example.com.
Open Enrollment Periods:
- FALL OPEN ENROLLMENT – June through September 15. Students who will be full-time in the Fall semester must complete the Online Health Insurance Process during the Fall Open Enrollment period (June 15-September 15). If your waiver is not received by July 10, then the health insurance fee will show on your fall tuition billing statement until you complete the online insurance process to waive the insurance. Please Note: Students who will begin their full-time studies before August 1 need to complete the process to enroll or waive the insurance in two steps. Please contact the UHS Insurance Advisors for assistance.
- WINTER OPEN ENROLLMENT – December 1, 2020 – February 14, 2021. Students who begin their full-time studies in January must complete the Online Health Insurance Process during the Winter open enrollment period, which ends on February 14, 2021. Access to the Online Insurance Process during this time period is limited to students who are beginning full-time studies in January/February or who are returning to full-time status in the spring semester(i.e., return from study abroad).
If your request to waive is denied, you can appeal the denial or you can enroll in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna). Appeals must be submitted by September 15, 2020 for fall or by February 14, 2021 for Spring enrollees. Contact the UHS Insurance Advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Please Note: Students who will be studying abroad in the fall semester do not complete the online process during the Fall Open Enrollment period. For more information, check the Health Insurance for Special Programs page.
Failure to complete the Online Health Insurance Process during the appropriate open enrollment period will result in the student being automatically enrolled in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna) and charged for the full year (i.e., August 1 through July 31). Students eligible to enroll during the Winter Open Enrollment Period who do not complete the Online Health Insurance Process by February 14 will be enrolled and charged for the remainder of the year (i.e., January 1-July 31). You will not be allowed to disenroll from the insurance plan during the plan year unless you experience a qualifying life event (See “Changing Your Insurance Status During the Plan Year” below). Enrolling in this way (i.e., not completing the Online Health Insurance Process) is highly discouraged since it could lead to a delay in access to care during the first two months of the plan.
Saving Your Insurance Card on Your Mobile Device
If you are enrolled in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna), you can save a copy of your insurance card on your mobile device by going to the Aetna Student Health web site and clicking on Get Your ID Card. You will be able to print your card and/or save it digitally. We recommend that you save your card on your mobile device. The instructions on the site will tell how to download the Aetna mobile app to view your ID card on your mobile device. Insurance cards are no longer being mailed to students by Aetna Student Health.
Changing Your Insurance Status During the Plan Year
If you should experience a qualifying life event (e.g., loss of coverage through your parent or spouse, birth of a child, marriage, divorce, or spouse entering the United States mid-year) during the year and want to enroll in the UR Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna), please contact the UHS Insurance Advisor for assistance.
- You must complete the Qualifying Life Event Form within 60 days of the qualifying event. Coverage will begin the month after the UHS Insurance Advisor receives the form.
- When submitting the Qualifying Life Event Form, you must provide proof of the qualifying life event (i.e., letter from the insurance company, your visa showing your date of entry to the United States, marriage certificate, your child’s birth certificate).
Insurance with an International-based Company
International-based plans often do not meet University Insurance Criteria for waiver. For this reason, we recommend checking the University Insurance Criteria carefully before deciding to purchase insurance from an international-based company. Your plan must meet all of the University Insurance Criteria to qualify for waiver of the University-sponsored insurance plan.
Health Insurance for Specific Student Groups
- Insurance for Families
- Domestic Partners
- School of Nursing – Accelerated Bachelor’s Program
- Special Programs: Study Abroad & in Absentia
- Graduating Students
- Visiting and Exchange Students
- Students under 19 – Dental and Vision Care
Student Dental Insurance Plan
The Eastman Institute for Oral Health on Elmwood Avenue by the UR Medical Center offers the University of Rochester Student Dental Plan for full-time students. This plan provides convenient dental care with fully qualified dentists. We make it easy for busy undergraduate and graduate students to keep a healthy smile. Dental services provided by Eastman Dental and Strong Memorial Hospital Department of Dentistry are in network.
The UR Student Dental Insurance Flyer 2020-2021 and UR Dental Insurance Application 2020-2021 provide information about the services provided. Coverage is from August 1 through July 31. Students who want to enroll in the UR Student Dental Insurance Plan must complete the application form by September 30. For more information, go to the Eastman Institute for Oral Health website and scroll down the page to “University of Rochester Students.” If you have questions about the Student Dental Insurance Plan for University of Rochester students, please contact Customer Service at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield at 1-800-724-1675.