Health Promotion Office
Relationships and Sex
Sexual health is much more than just S-E-X. A comprehensive sexual health program for the college population should address many facets of sexuality, including:
- Safe sexual practices
- Intimate relationships
- Sexual orientation and identity
According to the 2017 National College Health Assessment, 61% of University of Rochester students had at least one sexual partner within the last 12 months. But of those sexually active students, only about 50% used a condom during intercourse, and almost 20% of sexually active female students used emergency contraception within the last 12 months. Plus, when it comes to navigating intimate relationships, students often struggle, with 30% indicating that an intimate relationship has been traumatic or very difficult for them to handle.
As a result, the Health Promotion Office aims to create an open, supportive culture where students feel safe learning about and exploring what sexuality means to them.
Safe Sex Express
What is the Safe Sex Express?
The Safe Sex Express (formerly known as the Condom Express) is a program that delivers safer sex supplies and information to Rochester students’ CMC boxes. The program was created by students on the UR Student Health Advisory Committee (URSHAC) in the spring of 2015. Since then the Express has made over 1200 deliveries!
Here are a few things the program strives for:
- To provide anonymous and free access to safer sex supplies such as condoms, lube, and dental dams.
- To provide information on topics such as proper condom use, consent, and STI testing.
- To increase utilization across all Rochester communities, including first year students, LBGTQ+ students, and Eastman School of Music students.
How does it work?
Any Rochester student can place an order using our request form. Options include:
- External condoms (AKA male condoms)
- Internal condoms (AKA female condoms)
- Water-based lubricant
- Dental dams
If our supplies permit, we are also able to fulfill special requests such as latex-free condoms.
Order requests are checked and fulfilled twice weekly by our student team of Safe Sex Express workers. You’ll receive your supplies and sexual health information in a discreet package delivered to your CMC box within 5-7 business days.
Why is this program important?
The need for the Safe Sex Express program is supported by the University of Rochester’s 2017 National College Health Assessment results:
- 61% of students had at least one sexual partner within the last 12 months.
- Of those sexually active students, only about 50% always used a condom during intercourse.
- Almost 20% of sexually active female students used emergency contraception within the last 12 months.
How can I learn more about safer sex practices?
Visit our Relationships & Sex resources page.
- Learn how to properly put on a condom.
- Get the details on STDs and STIs.
- See what consent looks like in real world situations.
UR Sex Week strives to empower Rochester students to explore all of the important aspects of sexual health, from sexual identities to consent.
After a pilot program in April 2017, the first official UR Sex Week kicked off on September 25, 2017. It featured lectures, panels, and conversations, along with the popular Sex and Chocolate Fair, where you can visit campus experts and community partners to learn about STDs, safe sexual practices, and health relationships.
Stay tuned for details about the next UR Sex Week, kicking off in September 2018!