Office of Human Resources
The nomination period for the 2014 Meliora award is now closed.
Watch for information on our 2014 award recipients in April!
The University of Rochester Meliora Award recognizes a select number of staff members whose work performance and dedication during the preceding year exemplify the University’s motto, Meliora (ever better). Awards may celebrate individual achievements or those of a team.
Areas of Achievement:
Nominees should have demonstrated their commitment to the ideals of Meliora during the preceding few years through:
- Excellence in overall job performance that includes at least one major improvement to an individual department, program, unit, or the University as a whole (for example, service enhancement, significant process improvement, cost reduction or avoidance, etc.).
- Initiative, innovation, entrepreneurship and creativity.
- Service to constituents that consistently exceeds expectations.
- Contributions to an environment characterized by collaboration, cooperation, tolerance and mutual respect.
Nominees must be full- or part-time active staff from any division of the University. Nominations may be submitted for individual staff members or teams of staff members. A team member may not nominate his or her own team. Faculty and students are not eligible for this award.
Individual Meliora Award recipients will receive a $1,000 cash prize and the University will waive the cost of their current parking permits for one year. Team Meliora Award recipients will receive $3,000 to be used to support their unit or organization’s work. Meliora Award recipients will receive a certificate and be honored by the University Board of Trustees. In addition, their names will be inscribed on recognition boards placed in prominent locations at the Medical Center and in Wallis Hall. They will also be featured in University publications and invited to attend a reception in their honor.
Nominations may be submitted by current University of Rochester faculty, students and staff, teams, groups, units, or organizations.
Award recipients will be selected by the Witmer and Meliora Awards Selection Committee and announced in the spring.
Guidelines for Submitting Meliora Award Nominations:
For each individual or team nomination, please submit a nomination package containing the following items by February 7, 2014. Please be sure that ALL information is accurate and complete.
- A nomination form
- A nominating statement (no more than three pages) explaining how the individual or team nominee satisfies the award criteria. Please be specific, providing concrete examples.
- Exactly three letters of support (each no more than one page in length) from those who have been directly affected by this individual or team nominee’s innovation or service (peers and/or customers). One letter of support must be from the nominee’s direct supervisor unless the supervisor is the nominator.
- Relevant supporting documentation may be included but is not required.
Completed nomination packets should be submitted to:
Handcarry: 263 Wallis Hall or Benefits Office G-8011
Intramural Mail: Box 270013
E-mail:Meliora Award Nominations (on global)